How to Order Empire Gold Plates online
To make sure you are eligible for this transaction, read the information on this page.
When you are ready to begin this transaction, use the "Go to Transaction" link at the bottom of the page.
|New Empire Gold Plate||Current Empire Blue and White Plate
1. Determine if you are eligible:
This transaction allows you to order new Empire Gold vehicle plates to replace current Empire blue and white plates at a time when your registration is not due to be renewed. If your registration can be renewed, the transaction will inform you and you can order an Empire Gold plate when you renew.
You can order Empire gold plates for most registration types. The transaction will inform you if your registration type is not eligible to order Empire gold plates. The types of registrations that are not eligible for Empire Gold plate orders include plates within numbers assigned to government officials based on seniority (for example, judges and district attorneys).
For most registration types, you also have the option to request, the same number on your Empire Gold plates that you have on your current plates. See the information about the options below.
Your mailing address on DMV files must be your current address. Your new documents can be sent only to the address on the DMV record. You can first change your address online, and then process this transaction. You cannot request that your plates be mailed to an address different from the address on file with DMV.
2. Determine what you must have and what you need to know:
You must have these items or this information:
- To do this transaction online, your web browser must permit cookies.
- You must use one of the credit cards accepted by DMV to pay the fee.
- You must know your vehicle plate number and registration class code. If you need help, refer to the sample registration documents.
- Your mailing address on DMV files must be your current address. Your new documents can be sent only to the address on the DMV record. You can first change your address online, and then process this transaction. You cannot request that your plates be mailed to an address different from the address on file with DMV.
- The options you have and the fees you pay for Empire Gold plates depend on the type of registration you have:
- The total of fees to order an Empire Gold plate with a different, random number is $28.75 for a vehicle that receives two plates (e.g. a passenger vehicle) or $16.25 for a vehicle that receives one plate (e.g. a motorcycle). These include the plate fee ($25 for two plates, $12.50 for one) and a $3.75 plate exchange transaction fee.
- If your registration type is eligible, you will also have the option to request the same number on your Empire Gold plates that you have on your current plates. If you select this option, there is an additional fee of $20.
- For most registration types, if you have personalized plates, you do not pay the $20 additional fee to keep the same number. You pay only the plate fee and plate exchange transaction fee.
- If your registration class is not eligible for the same number option, then that options is not shown in the transaction.
- Before you select the option, the transaction shows you the total fees you would pay for each option available to you.
- You must provide an email address so the DMV can send you confirmation. If the e-mail address you enter is blocked or protected, it can prevent the delivery of the confirmation e-mail. Your e-mail program must be able to receive e-mail from addresses that include the domain: dmv.state.ny.us.
- Allow at least two weeks to receive your new registration documents by mail. Allow at least six weeks to receive you new Empire Gold plates by mail.
- You cannot cancel the transaction after you submit your payment.
- If you have a question about this transaction, you can read the FAQs.