- Your browser must be set to allow cookies.
- You can personalize your custom plates with a maximum of 6 characters or spaces, or choose to order a plate with a number assigned by the DMV.
- If you decide to request a personalized combination, you must explain what the combination means or what the combination represents. The DMV reviews requested personalized plate combinations. The DMV is not required to issue a requested plate. You can read the DMV regulations for restrictions on personalized plate combinations.
- Custom Picture Plates are available for passenger or commercial vehicles. You must have an existing, valid NYS vehicle registration.
- You must use a credit card to pay the fee. The transaction will show you the fee before your credit card is charged. You can also use the Custom Plates Gallery to look up the fee for the category and type of picture plate.
- You must provide an email address so we can send you a confirmation. A protected or blocked email address, including spam blocking software, may prevent you from receiving your confirmation email. Your email program must be able to receive email from addresses that include the domain: dmv.ny.gov.
Look up a custom plate now.
- You cannot order personalized plates if your current address is different from the one on record with DMV. — Plates are sent only to the address on DMV's files. Email requests for address changes are NOT accepted, but you can first change your address online, and then process this transaction.
- You cannot order personal plates online if your registration will expire within 60 days. Call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838 to order your plates and have your registration renewed. More on this topic.
- Personalized plates for the disabled with the International Symbol of Access cannot be ordered on line. Call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838.