Early renewal with conversion to an enhanced document
Before You Start
Make sure you know
- the client ID number (CID) from the driver license or non-driver ID card you want to renew early and convert to an enhanced document
- that the calculation is only valid for the day on which the calculation is made
- that the fee can change if you apply on a day after you do the calculation
- that this is only a fee calculator, and you must apply for the enhanced document at a DMV office
How can I renew my driver license or non-driver ID card early and convert to an enhanced document?
You can normally only renew a NYS driver license or non-driver ID card within 12 months or less before the expiration date. But you can apply for renewal earlier than normal to convert to an enhanced driver license (EDL) or enhanced non-driver ID card (ENDID).
To renew early and convert to an enhanced document your license or ID must
- be valid, not expired and issued more than 6 months ago
- not expire within the next 12 months 1
- not be a conditional or restricted license
- not being placed in or removed from conditional or restricted status
NOTE: If you get an EDL or ENDID through an early renewal, the year your license expires and your total fee will be different than if you renewed on a normal schedule. The fee can be higher because your license is issued for more months than a normal renewal.
What are the fees for early renewal and conversion?
The early renewal fees with conversion to EDL or ENDID fees are based on
- the class of your driver license or the type of your ENDID, and
- how many full or partial 6-month periods there are between the exact date you apply and your next birthday (the month and the day) and the year of expiration
We provide an online calculator to show you the fee you would pay for an early renewal EDL or ENDID.
NOTE: The calculator provides the fee you would pay if your application was processed on the same day you use the calculator. If you submit your application on a later date, the fee may be different.
The calculator can only be used to calculate the fee for an early renewal of a NYS driver license or NDID with a conversion from a regular document to an EDL or ENDID. It is not valid to use for any other DMV transaction.
Where can I find the calculator?
You can find the calculator for early renewal with conversion to an enhanced document among our online transactions.
- 1. If your driver license or NDID expires within the next 12 months, you can do a normal renewal and receive an EDL or ENDID. An early renewal is not required.