Driver License/Learner Permit Fees & Refunds
Fees for an original learner permit and driver license
The DMV issues an original driver license that is valid for a maximum of five years. The fee depends on your age when you apply and where you live. Residents of the following counties must pay a must pay a supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee: Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island); Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester. The MCTD fee is $1.00 for every six months the permit or driver license will be in effect.
The fees shown in the table below are the total fees you pay for your first NYS learner permit and driver license or a new learner permit and driver license after a revocation. The fees include the driver license application fee, the fee for the class of license, the document fees and the additional MCTD.
The table below does not show
- fees for a commercial driver licenses (CDL)
- the additional $30 fee to get an enhanced driver license (EDL) instead of a regular driver license
- fees for a non-driver ID card
|Applicant's Age||Class D or DJ||Class E||Class M or MJ**|
|16 to 16½||$80.00 / $90.00*||Not available at this age||$85.00 / $95.00*|
|16½ to 17||$76.75 / $85.75*||Not available at this age||$81.25 / $90.25*|
|17 to 17½||$92.50 / $102.50*||Not available at this age||$97.50 / $107.50*|
|17½ to 18||$89.25 / $98.25*||Not available at this age||$93.75 / $102.75*|
|18 to 18½||$80.00 / $90.00*||$110.00 / $120.00*||$85.00 / $95.00*|
|18½ to 21||$76.75 - $80.00|
$85.75 - $90.00*
|$103.75 - $110.00 |
$112.75 - $120.00*
|$81.25 - $85.00 |
$90.25 - $95.00*
|21 and older||$64.25 - $67.50 |
$73.25 - $77.50*
|$91.25 - $97.50 |
$100.25 - $107.25*
|$68.75 - $72.50 |
$77.75 - $82.50*
* Includes MCTD
** Part of the fee for a motorcycle license (Class M, Class MJ) supports the Motorcycle Safety Program in NYS.
Fee to replace a driver license or learner permit
The fee to replace a driver license or learner permit is $17.50.
Fee to change information on a driver license or learner permit.
The fee to change information (amend) on a driver license or learner permit is $12.50.
Fee for an Enhanced Driver License.
There is an additional $30.00 fee for an Enhanced Driver License.
Fee for a motorcycle license
The fees you pay when you get your first motorcycle license depend on
- whether or not you currently have another class of NYS driver license and
- your exact age when you apply.
The fees for a Class M or MJ driver license, or to add class M or MJ to your current driver license, can range from $21 to $120, but we cannot calculate your exact fee until you apply.
Can I get a refund of my driver license fees?
You can receive a partial refund of the 8-year driver license fee if you qualify. The maximum amount you can receive is 50% (four years) of the original 8-year driver license fee. The partial refund does not include any application or document fees.
You can qualify for a partial refund if your driver license
- was valid for eight years when it was issued
- is surrender to us or to another state during the first four years of the 8-year period
- was not suspended or revoked when you surrendered it
- was not exchanged for a non-driver ID card
To apply for a refund you must
- apply no later than 51 months after the date your driver license was issued
- complete a Request for Refund of Fee Paid for Motor Vehicle Registrations and Driver Licenses (MV-215)
- attach the driver license to form MV-215 if you did not already surrender your driver license
- if you exchanged your NYS driver license for a driver license in another state, attach a photocopy of your out-of-state driver license to form MV-215
- mail the required form and documents to the address listed on the form
- allow up to 12 weeks for the refund to be processed