Fees & refunds

Fees for an original learner permit and driver license

The fees shown in the table below are the total fees you pay for your first NYS learner permit and driver license or a new learner permit and driver license after a revocation.

 The fees shown include the driver license application fee, the license fee for the class of license and the document fees you would pay based on your age on the date you apply.

 The DMV issues an original driver license that is valid for a maximum of five years. The time period of your original driver license and the total fees depend on your exact age on the date of your application. NYS law requires the DMV to calculate the fee according to each period of six months that your original driver license is valid.

 For information about driver license Classes, see “Types of NYS driver licenses.”

 The table below does not show:

  • driver license renewal fees.
  • fees for a commercial driver licenses (CDL)
  • the additional $30 fee if you apply for an enhanced driver license (EDL) instead of a regular driver license.
  • fees for a non-driver ID card. 

Fees for Original Learner Permits and Driver Licenses

Age of ApplicantClass D or Class DJClass EClass M or Class MJ**
16 to 16½$80.00 $90.00*Not available at this age$85.00 $95.00*
16½ to 17$76.75 $85.75*Not available at this age$81.25 $90.25*
17 to 17½$92.50 $102.50*Not available at this age$97.50 $107.50*
17½ to 18$89.25 $98.25*Not available at this age$93.75 $102.75*
18 to 18½$80.00 $90.00*$110.00 $120.00*$85.00 $95.00*
18½ to 21$76.75 - $80.00
$85.75 - $90.00*
$103.75 - $110.00
$112.75 - $120.00*
$81.25 - $85.00
$90.25 - $95.00*
21 and older$64.25 - $67.50
$73.25 - $77.50*
$91.25 - $97.50
$100.25 - $107.25*
$68.75 - $72.50
$77.75 - $82.50*

* There is a supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee of $1.00 for every six months the permit or driver license will be in effect. The fee is paid by residents of the five New York City counties of: Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens and Richmond (Staten Island). The MCTD fee is also paid by residents of the counties of Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester.

** A part of the fee for a motorcycle license (Class M, Class MJ) supports the Motorcycle Safety Program in NYS.



Replace, change information, enhanced

The fee to replace a driver license or learner permit is $17.50.

The fee to change information on (amend) a driver license or learner permit is $12.50.


Motorcycle license

The fees you pay when you first get your Motorcycle License depend on:

  • whether or not you currently have another class of NYS Driver License and
  • your exact age when you apply.

The fees for a Driver License in Class M or MJ, or to add class M or MJ to your current Driver License, can range from $21 to $120, but the DMV is not able to calculate your exact fee until you actually apply.


How do I pay the fees?

If you apply by mail or at a DMV office, you can pay by credit/debit card or a check or money order made out to Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.  To apply online, you must use a credit/debit card. The DMV accepts:

  • American Express® Card
  • Discover Card®/Novus®
  • MasterCard®
  • MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
  • VISA® Card
  • Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)


Can I get a refund of my driver license fees?

You can receive a partial refund of the 8-year driver license fee if you qualify. The maximum amount you can receive is 50% (four years) of the original 8-year driver license fee. The partial refund does not include any application or document fees.

You can qualify for a partial refund if your driver license

  • was valid for eight years when it was issued
  • is surrender to us or to another state during the first four years of the 8-year period
  • was not suspended or revoked when you surrendered it
  • was not exchanged for a non-driver ID card

To apply for a refund you must

  • apply no later than 51 months after the date your driver license was issued
  • complete a Request for Refund of Fee Paid for Motor Vehicle Registrations and Driver Licenses (MV-215)
  • attach the driver license to form MV-215 if you did not already surrender your driver license
  • if you exchanged your NYS driver license for a driver license in another state, attach a photocopy of your out-of-state driver license to form MV-215
  • mail the required form and documents to the address listed on the form
  • allow up to 12 weeks for the refund to be processed