Get an enhanced driver license (EDL)
What is an enhanced driver license (EDL)?
New York State and other states issue enhanced driver licenses (EDL). If you are a US citizen and NYS resident you can apply for a NYS EDL that can be used instead of a passport to return to the US from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. 1
An EDL is not acceptable for air travel between these countries.
A NYS EDL is compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). 2
We recommend you contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify travel document requirements.
How do I apply for an EDL?
You must prove your identity and age (date of birth) to the DMV.
You will need:
- the proof(s) listed on Proofs of Identity, U.S. Citizenship and NYS Residence (ID-44EDL) and a completed Certification of Residence (MV-44NYR)3
- If you are
- a minor, you may need Statement of Identity and/or Residence by Parent/Guardian (MV-45)
- represented by a government or government-approved facility due to mental or physical challenges, you may need a Statement of Identity for Applicants Represented by Government or Government-Approved Facilities (form MV-45A)
- considered a disenfranchised, homeless youth, you may need Statement of Identity for Applicants Who Can be Considered Disenfranchised, Homeless Youth (MV-45B)
- a completed Application for Enhanced Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44EDL)
- payment for the fees
NOTE: It is a criminal misdemeanor to make a false statement or provide false proof of identity or date of birth when you apply for any DMV document. You can go to jail and pay large fines, and we can suspend or revoke your permit or driver license.
Can I apply online, by phone or mail?
No, because you will be required to show proofs of identity, NYS residency and U.S. Citizenship. All applications for enhanced documents must be made at a DMV office.
Is there an additional fee for an enhanced driver license?
The additional fee for an enhanced driver licensed (EDL) or enhanced non-driver ID card (ENDID) is $30. The fee is added to the other fees for the driver license or non-driver ID transaction.
To determine the fee for converting from a regular driver license or ID card to an enhanced document through early renewal, see Early renewal with conversion to an enhanced document.
Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (includes St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas) are U.S. possessions. In addition, the U.S. State Department external link site has a list of the 17 countries, territories and islands that are not U.S. possessions but that are also part of "the Caribbean" under WHTI.
WHTI is a federal rule that regulates which documents U.S. citizens can use when they travel in the Western Hemisphere. You can read more about this initiative at the web site of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
If you were born in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island or Queens, you can order a copy of your birth certificate from the Web site of the New York City Office of Vital Records.