Get an enhanced driver license (EDL)

What is an enhanced driver license (EDL)?

If you are a US citizen and NYS resident, you can apply for a NYS Enhanced Driver License (EDL) that can be used instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. 1  An EDL is not acceptable for air travel between these countries.

A NYS EDL is compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). 2

We recommend you contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify your travel document requirements.


How do I apply for an EDL?

You must apply for an EDL at a DMV office and provide proof of your identity, U.S. citizenship, NYS residency and age (date of birth)

You will also need

Can I apply online, by phone or mail?

No, because you are required to show proofs of identity, NYS residency and U.S. Citizenship. All applications for enhanced documents must be made at a DMV office.


Is there an additional fee for an enhanced driver license?

The additional fee for an enhanced driver licensed (EDL) or enhanced non-driver ID card (ENDID) is $30.00.  The fee is added to the other fees for the driver license or non-driver ID transaction.

To determine the fee for converting from a regular driver license or ID card to an enhanced document, see Early renewal with conversion to an enhanced document.

NOTE: It is a criminal misdemeanor to make a false statement or provide false proof of identity or date of birth when you apply for any DMV document. You can go to jail and pay large fines, and we can suspend or revoke your permit or driver license.