Before You Start
- you are eligible as described on this page
- your current address matches the address on our records or you change your address before you order a renewal online
- you have a credit card to pay the renewal fee
How do I renew my driver license?
If your NYS driver license has expired, you must renew it or face fines. 1
The expiration date is your birthday.
We will send you a renewal notice in the mail approximately 50 days before your driver license expires. You can renew online, by mail or at a DMV office if you are eligible.2
You can renew your driver license
- up to one year before the expiration date, or
- within two years after the expiration date 3
Renewal anytime within this period will not affect the expiration date of your new driver license or the fees.
To renew your driver license, you must pass a vision test. See Vision requirements and restrictions.
See the footnote about renewal if your driver license is expiring on your 21st birthday. 4
To get information about how to renew a commercial driver license (CDL), see Renew a CDL.
What will it cost to renew?
The renewal fee is on the renewal application we mail to you and displayed before you pay the fee an online renewal transaction. You can also see the renewal fees chart below to determine the amount of your fee.
NYS Driver License Renewal Fees
(The fees listed include the photo document fee.)
Driver License Class
A, B or C (2)
Commercial Driver License (CDL)
D or DJ
M or MJ
Any Other Class Combined
with Class M or MJ
(Example Class: DM)
Add an additional $8.00 to the fee above
(Example: Class AM $172.50/$188.50(1))
(1) There is a supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee of $1.00 for every six months the permit or driver license will be in effect. For an 8-year Driver License, the MCTD fee is $16. The fee is paid by residents of the five New York City counties of: Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens and Richmond (Staten Island). The MCTD fee is also paid by residents of the counties of Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester.
|(2) If you have a Class A, B or C with an endorsement of H or X, you must pass the hazardous materials knowledge test at a DMV office within two years before your renewal and pay an additional fee of $5 for the test.|
How long will it take to get my new license?
Allow two weeks to receive your driver license in the mail.
What if I have been waiting more than two weeks?
Can I renew online?
The fastest way to renew your driver license is right now, online if you’re eligible.
- sign up for the My License Status, Renewal and Replacement service in MyDMV and change your address if necessary before you renew
- use the eDMV Online driver license renewal transaction without sign up and with no option to change your address online.
To renew your license online, you must:
- have proof that you passed an eye test. See Vision requirements and restrictions
- make sure your current address matches the one on our records 5
Can I renew by mail?
We will send you a renewal application in the mail approximately 50 days before your driver license expires. Complete it and return it in the envelope provided. Enclose the payment 6 to the DMV along with proof that you passed an eye test. A copy of the Vision Test Report (form MV-619R) is included with your renewal notice. See Vision requirements and restrictions.
Can I renew by phone?
No, you can’t renew by phone.
Can I renew my license at a DMV office?
Yes. You can use the renewal application we mailed to you or use form Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44) to apply at a DMV office.
You must visit a DMV office if you need to take the eye test at the office or if you want to update the photo on your driver license.
If you use an expired driver license to drive and you get a traffic ticket, you will receive fines and penalties
- 60 days or less after the expiration date, a fine of $25 to $40 plus state and local surcharges
- more than 60 days after the expiration date, a fine of $75 to $300 plus state and local surcharges
You can’t renew by any method if
- you have a learner permit
- your license expires more than one year from today, or expired more than two years ago
- your driver license is suspended or revoked
- your driver license has the words “TEMPORARY VISITOR”
- you are in jail
You can’t renew online if you have a commercial driver license (CDL). See Renew a CDL. There are additional restrictions for online renewals. You will be notified by a message if you are not eligible to complete the transaction.
You can renew only at a DMV office if
- you want to convert to an enhanced driver license (EDL)
- you have a conditional license or a restricted license
- your driver license displays the words, "VALID WITHOUT PHOTO”
- you currently participate in the ignition interlock device program
- 3. If your driver license is expired for two years or more, you can’t renew. There are no exceptions. You must apply for an original license. You must pass the vision test and the written test, complete a pre-licensing course and pass a Road Test. See Get your first driver license.
If your driver license expires on your 21st birthday
- If your renewal is processed 41 days or more before your birthday, you will receive a new driver license that has the words “UNDER 21”
- If your renewal is processed less than 40 days before your birthday, you receive a license without the words “UNDER 21,” and the license is delivered near your birthday
- 5. Your current address must match the address that is listed on our records. You can’t renew your driver license online if the two addresses are different. Your mailing address must be a location within the US. You can’t renew your driver license online if your mailing address is located outside the US. This requirement includes military addresses. You can sign up to renew your driver license online, with a change of address, using the My License Status, Renewal and Replacement service in MyDMV.
If you apply by mail or at a DMV office, you can pay by credit/debit card or a check or money order made out to Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. To apply online, you must use a credit/debit card. The DMV accepts:
- American Express® Card
- Discover Card®/Novus®
- MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
- VISA® Card
- Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)