Renew license

You must renew your license before it expires or you could face fines. 1
You can renew up to 1 year before it expires and 2 years after (there are no exceptions). 2

Once renewed, your license expiration date will be extended for 8 years. 


Important: New York offers three types of licenses

Document Type




Displayed on documentFlag displayed on EnhancedStar displayed on REAL ID documentsNot for Federal Purposes displayed on Standard documents
Boarding a domestic (U.S.) flight, entering a Federal
Building or Military Base (starting October, 2020)
U.S. Border Crossing from Canada, Mexico and some
Caribbean countries

*If your license was issued before October 30, 2017 and is not Enhanced, you have a Standard document. 

Learn more about Enhanced, REAL ID and Standard documents


At a DMV office

If you want to change to an Enhanced or REAL ID, complete this guide to make sure you have the proofs of identification you need before coming. 

find out what documents you need to bring to an office


If you want to renew in an office and keep your current document type, follow these steps:

Step 1: Complete the renewal notice (MV-2) we mailed you.

Step 2: Come to an office.

    • Bring your current Standard, REAL ID, or Enhanced license with you.
    • Bring your renewal notice or application.

You can take a vision test at the DMV or bring a completed Vision Test Report (MV-619) or have your test sent to us electronically by a vision registry provider. We will give you a temporary, non-photo license to use until your new license arrives in the mail (in about 10 days). 

For quicker service, make a reservation online before visiting offices in New York City, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Onondaga or Albany Counties. See offices where this service is available.



ImportantIf you renew online and do not already have an Enhanced or REAL ID, your document will have 'NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES' written on it.  

You must renew at a DMV office if you

  • have a REAL ID or Enhanced with a photo that is over 16 years old
  • have a commercial driver license (CDL) 3
  • want to convert to a REAL ID or an Enhanced
  • have a conditional or restricted license
  • have the words "VALID WITHOUT PHOTO” on your license
  • want to update your photo
  • participate in the ignition interlock device program
  • have 'TEMPORARY VISITOR' on your license and the temporary visitor date expired  4

Follow these 3 steps

Step 1:  Pass an eye test by an approved provider, like a pharmacy (find a test location now), or have a professional complete a paper report. 5

Step 2:  Renew online 6

Step 3:  Download and print a temporary license in PDF format to use until your new license arrives in the mail (in about 10 days).

Renew license online



By mail

ImportantIf you renew by mail and do not already have an Enhanced or REAL ID, your document will have 'NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES' written on it.  


Complete the renewal notice we mailed you and return it with

If you did not receive a renewal notice, you can use either an

Mail to:

NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY  13501-2874

You cannot renew by mail if you have a REAL ID or Enhanced license with a photo that is over 16 years old. You must come into an office to take a new picture. 


Fee (cost)

Your renewal fee is on the renewal application we mail you and displayed before you pay online. They are also listed on the chart below for different types of licenses. The fees listed include the photo document fee and the supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee, if required. 7

The additional fee for an enhanced driver licensed (EDL) is $30.00.  The fee is added to the renewal fees for the driver license.

Driver License ClassFee+ MCTD Fee
A, B or C 8
Commercial Driver License (CDL)
D or DJ$64.50$80.50
M or MJ$72.50$88.50

If you have any other class combined with Class M or MJ (example: DM), add an additional $8.00 to the fee above.

If you apply by mail or at a DMV office, you can pay by credit/debit card or a check or money order made out to Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.  To apply online, you must use a credit/debit card. The DMV accepts:

  • American Express® Card
  • Discover Card®/Novus®
  • MasterCard®
  • MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
  • VISA® Card
  • Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)

Additional information

Veteran status designation

If you are a qualified U.S. military veteran who was honorably discharged, and you have a NYS driver license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document.

There is no additional fee for the veteran status designation on your document, but all regular transaction fees will apply.

Learn how to get the veteran status on your license.

Your new license will come in 10 days

It takes about 10 days for your license to come in the mail. You can check the mailing status online.  If it has been more than 2 weeks since you renewed, contact us.

Your address must match the one on our records

You can first change your address online and then renew. There is no guarantee that the (US Postal Service) USPS will forward your DMV documents to your new address.

If you are turning 21 soon

If you renew more than 40 days before your 21st birthday, your license will have 'UNDER 21' 9

Overseas (out of the country, abroad)

When overseas we recommend that you renew your driver license through the mail. 10 Send us

We also recommend that you send us a pre-addressed priority mail return envelope with your application (this will help ensure that we send your license to the correct address).


Temporary Visitors and international students

As long as the Temporary Visitor status that DMV has on file is not expired you can renew your license online, through the mail or in an office. 

If your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, you must go to a DMV office with your updated paperwork from the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS).   We will update our records to show that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended so you can renew your license. Your new license will have your new temporary visitor expiration date.


Changing license class when renewing

You cannot change the class when you renew online. You can make these changes when you renew by mail or at a DMV office. 

CDL Class A, B, or CClass D, E, or Non-commercial Class C
Non-Commercial Class C or Class EClass D
Non-Commercial Class CClass E
Class DClass E

You cannot make  any other class changes when you renew. Other changes require a written test and a road test. (See Get a CDL or Get a motorcycle license).

If you renew 

  • by mail, include a note about your class change in your renewal envelope
  • at a DMV office, tell the DMV representative about the change

You will need to pay the renewal fee for your new driver license class.


Similar Transactions

  • 1.

    If you drive with expired license get a traffic ticket, you will receive fines and penalties

    • 60 days or less after the expiration date: $25 to $40 plus state and local surcharges
    • more than 60 days after the expiration date: $75 to $300 plus state and local surcharges

  • 2. Renewal anytime within this period will not affect the expiration date of your new driver license or the fees. 

    If your license is expired for 2 years or more, you must apply for an original license. You must pass the vision test and the written test, complete a pre-licensing course and pass a Road Test. See Get a driver license.
  • 3. See information about how to renew a CDL.
  • 4. You will need to bring to a DMV office proof of an extension from the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
  • 5.

    You can have a Vision Test Report (MV-619) completed by a medical professional listed below, and then enter the report information on the online transaction. You do not need to mail or bring us the report if you renew online.

    • physician
    • physician's assistant
    • ophthalmologist
    • optometrist
    • optician 
    • registered nurse
    • nurse professional

  • 6. At the start of your online renewal transaction, you will be asked if you would like to register to vote or change your party designation. You are not required to register to vote, but you will be required to answer the question to proceed with your transaction. If you answer yes, you will complete your voter registration application as part of your renewal transaction.
  • 7. Residents of the following counties must pay a supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee:  Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island); Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester.

    The MCTD fee is $1.00 for every 6 months the permit or driver license will be in effect. For an 8-year driver license, the MCTD fee is $16.

  • 8. If you have a Class A, B or C with an endorsement of H or X, you must pass the hazardous materials knowledge test at a DMV office within 2 years before your renewal and pay an additional fee of $5 for the test.
  • 9. If your renewal is processed less than 40 days before your birthday, we will mail you a driver license without the words “UNDER 21” on or near the date of your birthday.
  • 10. You can however renew online if you are abroad and
    • have a valid NY driver license
    • have had an eye exam from the last 12 months saved to the DMV Vision Registry.

    However, your license will not be forwarded to you in the country where you are living.