You can renew online, by mail or at a DMV office.
- your license expires on your birthday (we mail you a renewal notice about 50 days before it expires)
- you can renew up to 1 year before the expiration date, or within 2 years after the expiration (if your driver license is expired for 2 years or more, you can’t renew - there are no exceptions) 1
- if you renew 41 days or more before your 21st birthday, you license will have the words “UNDER 21” 2
You can’t renew
- a commercial driver license (CDL) online (see how to Renew a CDL)
- a learner permit (by any method)
- a license that expires more than 1 year from today, or expired more than 2 years ago
- a suspended or revoked license
- a license that has 'TEMPORARY VISITOR' on it if the temporary visitor date expired, unless you have proof of an extension from the INS 5
You must renew at a DMV office if you
- want to convert to an enhanced driver license (EDL)
- have a conditional license or a restricted license
- have a driver license that displays the words "VALID WITHOUT PHOTO”
- want to update your photo
- currently participate in the ignition interlock device program
- have a license that has 'TEMPORARY VISITOR' on it and the temporary visitor date expired, and you have proof of an extension from the INS 5
What will it cost to renew?
The renewal fee is on the renewal application we mail to you and displayed before you pay the fee an online renewal transaction. You can also see the renewal fee chart to determine the amount to pay.
How long will it take to get my new license?
Allow 2 weeks to receive your driver license in the mail. You can check the mailing status of your driver license online. If it has been more than 2 weeks since you processed or sent your renewal, contact us.
Can I renew online?
Yes. It's the fastest way to renew, if you’re eligible. You can
- use our driver license renewal service, or
- sign up for MyDMV and use the My License status, renewal and replacement service if you need to change your address before you renew
To renew your license online, you must
- have proof that you passed an eye test 6
- make sure your current address matches the one on our records 7
Can I renew by mail?
Yes. Complete the renewal notice we mailed to you and return it in the envelope provided. If you use a provider enrolled in the DMV Online Vision Registry, you do not have to return the Vision Test Report (MV-619R) that is included with your renewal notice.
If you did not receive a renewal application, you may use the Application for Driver License, Learner Permit or Non-driver ID (MV-44) instead. See the renewal fees chart to determine the amount to pay. Mail the MV-44, a Vision Test Report (if you did not have your vision tested by a provider enrolled in the DMV Online Vision Registry) and a check or money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles to:
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY 13501-2874
Can I renew by phone?
No. You can’t renew by phone.
Can I renew my license at a DMV office?
Yes. You can use the renewal application we mailed to you or use the Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44) to apply at a DMV office.
How can I renew if I am overseas (out of the country, abroad)?
When overseas we recommend that you renew your drivers license through the mail. 8
Please send us
- the renewal application we mailed you (MV-2) or if you don't have it, a completed Application for Driver License, Learner Permit or Non-driver ID (MV-44)
- a Vision Test Report (MV-619) completed by an eye care professional
- the appropriate fee
We also recomend hat you send us a pre-addressed priority mail return envelope with your application (this will help ensure that we send your license to the correct address).
How can I renew if I am a Temporary Visitor?
As long as the Temporary Visitor status that DMV has on file is not expired you can renew your license online, through the mail or in an office.
If your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, you must go to a DMV office with your updated paperwork from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). We will update our records to show that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended so you can renew your license. Your new license will have your new temporary visitor expiration date.
Can I change my driver license class when I renew?
It depends. You cannot change your driver license class when you renew online. You can make these changes when you renew by mail or at a DMV office.
|CDL Class A, B, or C||Class D, E, or Non-commercial Class C|
|Non-Commercial Class C or Class E||Class D|
|Non-Commercial Class C||Class E|
|Class D||Class E|
If you renew
- by mail, include a note about your class change in your renewal envelope
- at a DMV office, tell the DMV representative about the change
You will need to pay the renewal fee for your new driver license class.
- 1. Renewal anytime within this period will not affect the expiration date of your new driver license or the fees.
- If your driver license is expired for 2 years or more, you must apply for an original license. You must pass the vision test and the written test, complete a pre-licensing course and pass a Road Test. See Get a driver license.
- 2. If your renewal is processed less than 40 days before your birthday, we will mail you a driver license without the words “UNDER 21” on or near the date of your birthday.
- 3. If you use an expired driver license to drive and you get a traffic ticket, you will receive fines and penalties
- 60 days or less after the expiration date, a fine of $25 to $40 plus state and local surcharges
- more than 60 days after the expiration date, a fine of $75 to $300 plus state and local surcharges
The easiest way is to take a vision test from a provider who is enrolled in the DMV Online Vision Registry. The provider will send us proof you passed a vision within 24 hours so you can renew online. Find a Vision Registry provider near you.
- 5. a. b. Immigration and Naturalization Service
The easiest way is to take a vision test from a provider who is enrolled in the DMV Online Vision Registry. The provider will submit proof that you passed a vision test online, so you will not need a Vision Test Report. Find a Vision Registry provider near you.
You can also obtain a Vision Test report (MV-619) from a qualified provider and use the information on the report to renew online. Your Vision Care Report must be completed by
- a physician
- a physician's assistant
- an ophthalmologist
- an optometrist
- an optician
- a registered nurse
- a nurse professional
- 7. Your current address must match the address that is listed on our records. You can’t renew your driver license online if the two addresses are different. Your mailing address must be a location within the US. You can’t renew your driver license online if your mailing address is located outside the US. This requirement includes military addresses. You can sign up to renew your driver license online, with a change of address, using the My License Status, Renewal and Replacement service in MyDMV.
- 8. You can however renew online if you are abroad and
- have a valid NY driver license
- have had an eye exam from the last 12 months saved to the DMV Vision Registry.
However, your license will not be forwarded to you in the country where you are living.