Replace license or permit
If your driver license or learner permit was lost, stolen or destroyed, you can order a replacement online, by mail or at a DMV office. You can also order a replacement after you update your address.
If you are turning 21 soon, order within 40 days of your birthday to get a replacement without the words “UNDER 21” on it. 1
Are there any requirements to order online?
Yes. You must be sure that
- the license or permit is not expired
- if you are 25 or older, you have not ordered another replacement online within the past 30 days
- if you are under age 25, you have never ordered a replacement online
You cannot order online if
- you want to request a free replacement for a document stolen or lost due to a crime 2
- you have a conditional or restricted driver license
- your document says "Valid without Photo"
To order by mail or at a DMV office
- read How to Apply for a New York Learner Permit, Driver License, Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44.1)
- complete an Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44) - you must respond to all the questions on the back of the form and sign your name
- if you do not know your DMV ID Number (Client ID Number) from your NYS driver license or learner permit, enter your date of birth and name it appeared on your old document
- if you apply at a DMV office, you must bring the original proofs of identity
- if you apply by mail, send photocopies of the required proofs of identity to
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY 13501-2874
What is the fee?
The fee is $17.50
If you want the fee waived for a license or permit lost due to a crime, you must apply at a DMV office and show form MV-78B completed by the police. 4
Can I update my address when I replace my document?
To order a replacementlicense or permit that shows a new address, first change your address, then order a replacement document. See Address Change.
Can I make any other changes to my replacement document?
No. The information on the replacement document must be the same as the information on your current DMV record. To change information other than your address, see Change name or other information.
How will I receive my new driver license or learner permit?
Your replacement license or permit will be mailed to the mailing address currently on our records or an alternate address you provide. 3
To verify or change your address, see Address Change.
How can I replace my driver license if I am overseas (out of the country, abroad)?
When overseas you must replace your license through the mail. Please submit
- an Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44)
- the appropriate fee
We also recommend that you send us a pre-addressed priority mail return envelope with your application (this will help ensure that we send your license to the correct address).
How can I replace my driver license if I am a Temporary Visitor or an international student?
As long as the Temporary Visitor status that DMV has on file is not expired you can replace your license online, through the mail or in an office.
If your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, you must go to a DMV office with your updated paperwork from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). We will update our records to show that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended so you can replace your license. Your new license will have your new temporary visitor expiration date.
How long will it take?
Allow 2 weeks for delivery of your replacement license or permit by US first-class mail. You can't request delivery by Express Mail and you can't get your photo document sooner by going to a DMV office.
- 1. If you request a replacement driver license 41 days or more before your 21st birthday, it will say “UNDER 21.”
- 2. To get a free replacement for a driver license or learner permit that was stolen or was lost due to a crime, you must get form MV-78B from a police agency and bring it to a DMV office. This form is available only from police agencies, not from the DMV.
- 3. a. b. If you want your new driver license sent to an alternate address, include an additional note and clearly print the alternate address. Don’t write the alternate address on form MV-44. The mailing address you write on form MV-44 must be the address that is listed on your photo document and your DMV record.
- 4. To get a free replacement for a driver license or learner permit that was stolen or was lost due to a crime, you must get form MV-78B from a police agency. This form is available only from police agencies, not from the DMV.