Replace license or permit

You can replace your license or permit if it was lost, stolen or destroyed, or after you update your address. You can't replace your document if it is expired. 

If you are turning 21 soon, order within 40 days of your birthday. 1

Can I order online?

Yes, unless

  • you are 25 or older and have ordered replacement online within the past 30 days
  • you are under age 25 and ordered a replacement before
  • you have a conditional or restricted driver license
  • your document says "Valid Without Photo"

At the end of the transaction, you can download and print a temporary license or permit in PDF format to use until you receive your new document in the mail (in about 10 days).

Order online right now.

How do I order by mail or at a DMV office

Read How to Apply for a New York Learner Permit, Driver License, Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44.1).

To order by mail 

Mail to:

NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY  13501-2874

To order at an office

A local DMV office cannot issue a document with your photo. You will be given a temporary, non-photo document to use until you receive your new one in the mail.

Can I ask  that my document be sent to a different address than what will be on my document?

When you order by mail or at a DMV office, you may ask that your replacement document be sent to an address that is different from the address on your document. 2

What is the fee?

The fee is $17.50.

If you want the fee waived for a license or permit lost due to a crime, you must apply at a DMV office and show form MV-78B completed by the police.  3

Can I update my address when I replace my document?

No. First change your address, then order a replacement. 

Can I change my name or make other changes?

Yes, but you will need go to a DMV office.  See how to change your name or other information.

How will I receive my document?

We will mail it to the mailing address currently on our records or an alternate address you provide. 2

To verify or change your address, see Address Change.

How can I replace my license if I am overseas (out of the country, abroad)?

When overseas you must replace your license through the mail. Please submit

We also recommend that you send us a pre-addressed priority mail return envelope with your application (this will help ensure that we send your license to the correct address).

How can I replace my driver license if I am a Temporary Visitor or an international student?

As long as the Temporary Visitor status that DMV has on file is not expired you can replace your license online, through the mail or in an office. 

If your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, you must go to a DMV office with your updated paperwork from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).   We will update our records to show that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended so you can replace your license. Your new license will have your new temporary visitor expiration date.

How long will it take?

Allow 2 weeks for delivery of your replacement license or permit by US first-class mail. You can't request delivery by Express Mail and you can't get your photo document sooner by going to a DMV office.

  • 1. If you request a replacement driver license 41 days or more before your 21st birthday, it will say “UNDER 21.”
  • 2. a. b. If you want your new driver license sent to an alternate address, include an additional note and clearly print the alternate address. Don’t write the alternate address on form MV-44. The mailing address you write on form MV-44 must be the address that is listed on your photo document and your DMV record.
  • 3. To get a free replacement for a driver license or learner permit that was stolen or was lost due to a crime, you must get form MV-78B from a police agency. This form is available only from police agencies, not from the DMV.

Before You Start

Make sure

  • you are eligible as described on this page
  • your current address matches the address on our records or you changed your address before you order a replacement online
  • you have a credit card to pay the $17.50 replacement fee

After you pay, you can download and print a temporary license or permit to use until you receive your new document in the mail.

Do it by mail

If you apply for a replacement by mail, you must

  • send photocopies of your required proofs of identity and age. Do not mail original documents

  • send a completed form MV-44. Select "replacement" under "I am applying for a"

  • pay the fee by check or money order made out to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles"

  • Mail to:

    NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
    207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
    Utica, NY  13501-2874

Do it at the DMV

You can apply at a DMV office.

The office can issue you a temporary, non-photo document. A local DMV office cannot issue a photo document. The photo document must be mailed.

To apply at a DMV office, you must bring original proofs of identity. If you do not have the required proofs of identity, bring all the proofs that you have available.

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.