Learn about personalized plates
What are personalized plates?
Personalized plates are standard series plates that have a combination of numbers and letters that you select, for an additional fee in addition to your regular vehicle registration fee. 1
How much do personalized plates cost?
Passenger and Commercial Plates:
Initial Cost = $60.00
Annual Fee = $31.25
Initial Cost = $35.00
Annual Fee = $18.75
Can I use personalized plates on any type of vehicle?
You can use personalized plates on passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles, motorcycles and trailers.
What can I use for a personalized plate combination?
You must explain what your requested plate combination means or what the combination represents. Your requested plate combination is subject to review. The DMV is not required to issue your requested plate.
The maximum number of characters you can use depends on the plate type you are registering. 2 You can have up to
- eight characters on a standard series plate
- six characters on a personalized plate for a motorcycle
- six characters on a picture plate
- the state image is available on some personalized plates and counts as a character. See the example.
What plate combinations are restricted?
- Personalized plates that give the appearance of an official plate or the configuration of special registration classes. 3
- Combinations that are considered obscene, derogatory or offensive.
- Combinations that do not have one letter.
- Combinations that consist of six numbers followed by one letter.
- Use of the letter "O" between two numbers to make what appears to be a number. 4
- Use of the letter "I" as the first or last characters on a plate when the other characters are all numbers. 5
- Use of the number zero (0) between two letters to form a word. 6
- Use of the number zero (0) and the letter "O" to form a word or number. 7
Can picture plates be personalized?
Yes. Some picture plates can be personalized for an additional fee in addition to your picture plate and regular registration fee. For personalized plate availability and pricing for the picture plate you are interested in, you can browse our collection of picture plates online. The categories are:
- I LOVE NY Adventure plates
- Military and Veterans
- Counties and Regions of NYS
- Colleges, Fraternities, Sororities
- Motorcycle Plates
Can I use license plate covers?
According to New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, any glass or plastic material added over the surface of a plate, or any substance applied to the surface of the plate intended to conceal or obscure plate information, is illegal and carries a fine of as much as $200.00. Most brackets or frames that surround license plates are not illegal, unless they obstruct the jurisdiction or the plate class.
- 1. The annual fee is in addition to your vehicle registration renewal fee and will be paid when you renew your registration. A registration renewal for two years will include two annual fees.
- 2. A character is a letter (A-Z), number (0-9) or space. Each space counts as one character.
- 3. For example, a combination that includes "POLICE" or "NYS" is not allowed.
- 4. For example, "2O3", "2OO3", or "JAN2OO3" are not allowed.
- 5. For example, "I45678" or "45678I" are not allowed.
- 6. For example, "P00L" and "P0LE" are not allowed.
- 7. For example, "PO0L" or "2O03" are not allowed.