How to Renew a NYS Driver License or Non- Driver ID Online
To make sure you are eligible for this transaction, read the information on this page.
When you are ready to begin this transaction, use the "Go to Transaction" link at the bottom of the page.
1. Determine if you are eligible:
You must have a valid NYS driver license or non-driver photo ID card that is eligible to be renewed:
- A driver license/ID can be renewed up to one year before its expiration date.
- An expired driver license/ID can be renewed if it has been expired for less than two years. However, you can receive a traffic ticket if you drive with an expired license.
- Early or late renewal does not affect the expiration date of your new document or the fees.
- If you renew 40 days or less before your 21st birthday, you will be issued a new document without the "UNDER 21" logo. But the new document will arrive in the mail close to your birthday. However, if you renew at a DMV office an interim document can be issued to serve as acceptable proof while waiting for the new document to arrive in the mail.
You cannot renew online if:
- You have:
- a commercial driver license (CDL), or
- a learner permit, or
- a conditional or restricted license, or
- a driver license that requires an ignition interlock, or
- a document that reads "Valid Without Photo," or
- a regular driver license that you want to convert to an Enhanced Driver License (EDL) upon renewal.
To renew these documents, apply by mail or at a DMV office.
You also cannot renew online if:
- Your driver license or ID is suspended or revoked, expires more than one year from today, or expired more than two years ago.
- You reside in a country other than the United States. This includes military addresses.
- You want to remove a restriction for corrective lenses or a hearing aid from your driver license.
- Your form MV-619 or form MV-619R (Vision Test Report) was completed by an eye-care professional from outside the United States.
- You are required to wear telescopic lenses.
- You wish to add a veteran status designation.
Your mailing address on DMV files must be your current mailing address. You cannot change your address using this transaction.
If you sign up for Change My Address in MyDMV, you can change your address online and then use other MyDMV online services to:
- replace your driver license, non-driver photo ID card or permit
- renew your driver license or non-driver photo ID card
- renew or replace your registrations.
Read the instructions to change your address on DMV records and documents.
If you are on active duty with the US Armed Forces, read this information before you renew your driver license.
2. Determine what you must have and what you need to know:
To do this transaction online, your web browser must permit cookies.
You cannot cancel an online transaction. You cannot receive a refund.
Allow at least two weeks for your new document to arrive by mail.
You must have these items or this information:
- You must use one of the credit cards accepted by DMV to pay the fee.
- The Client ID Number from your NYS DMV driver license or non-driver photo ID card.
- Vision test results submitted to the DMV Online Vision Registry or reported by a vision care professional on Form MV-619 or form MV-619R (Vision Test Report). You can search by ZIP Code for businesses enrolled as providers in the DMV Online Vision Registry.
- If the results are submitted to the Registry, you can renew your license online or by mail without entering vision test information on a form.
- If you use form MV-619 or form MV-619R and it has a print date of 9/03 or earlier, the form is valid for 6 months after the date of the vision test. If the form has a print date of 3/04 or later, the vision care professional marks a box on the form to indicate if the form is valid for 6 months or for 12 months after the date of the vision test.
- A valid email address so the DMV can send you confirmation of your transaction. Software that blocks spam can prevent delivery of your confirmation email. Your email program must be able to receive email from addresses that include the domain dmv.ny.gov.
- A pen or a pencil and a piece of paper, or a printer, to record your Confirmation Number.
- If you have a question about this transaction, you can read the FAQs.
- To begin the transaction, select "Go to Transaction" below.