Veteran status designation on a photo document
If you are a qualified U.S. military veteran who was honorably discharged, and you have a NYS driver license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document.
There is no additional fee for the veteran status designation on your document, but all regular transaction fees will apply.
To apply for the veteran status designation:
- You must send or provide proof of an honorable discharge. You may apply by mail or at a DMV office by showing your proof(s). Originals or photocopies are acceptable at an office, but send only photocopies by mail. Acceptable proofs are
- a U.S. Department of Defense Form DD-214 that indicates an honorable discharge
- a form DD-215 that indicates an honorable discharge
- if discharged before January 1,1950, an Honorable Discharge form WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD or NAVCG 553, or an "Enlisted Separation Paper"
- You can apply for the veteran status designation when you renew your driver license by mail using your renewal notice (MV-2) and a photocopy of your proof of honorable discharge.
- You can renew a NYS driver license or NDID within 12 months or less of the expiration date. If you’d prefer to apply for the designation prior to this time period and cannot visit your local DMV, you can still apply by mail for a replacement document, updated with the veteran status designation. Please include a written request to add the designation, use the Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44), send a photocopy of your current photo document and your proof of honorable discharge.
Mail everything to:
DMV License Production Bureau
Room 331, 6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
- You can apply at a DMV office for a renewal or a replacement document with the veteran status designation. Use the Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44).
- You cannot apply by phone or online.
The veteran status will be printed on all of your future NYS DMV photo documents.