Order personalized plates
Before You Start
You must have a valid NYS registration that does not expire within 60 days. This will have your current plate number and registration class code.
Your name and address must be up to date with DMV.
How do I order personalized plates?
You can order personalized plates for passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles and motorcycles. 1
Many picture plates can also be personalized. You can browse our collection of picture plates online. The categories are:
- I Love NY Adventure Plates
- Military and Veterans
- Counties and Regions of NYS
- Colleges, Fraternities, Sororities
Can I order personalized plates online?
Yes. You can order personalized plates online unless you want personalized plates for the disabled that have the International Symbol of Access. 2
To order personalized plates online:
- You must have a valid New York State vehicle registration in the passenger, commercial or motorcycle registration class that does not expire within 60 days. 3
- The mailing address on your vehicle registration record must be your current mailing address. 4
- Your vehicle registration record must match your current name if your name has changed. 5
- You must provide your current plate number, the 3-letter registration class code and the first three letters of your last name. See a sample registration document.
- You must have a credit card that DMV accepts, and a valid email address for confirmation purposes. 6
Can I order personalized plates by mail?
Yes. To order personalized plates by mail, use the Order Form for Personalized Plates or Cause, Organization, Regional, Colleges and Fraternities or Sports Picture Plates (CP-62.1). 7
Mail the completed form and your payment to:
NYS DMV Custom Plates Unit
P.O. Box 2775
Albany, NY 12220
Can I order personalized plates by phone?
Yes, but you can save yourself the wait time. It’s faster and easier to do it online. Call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. 8
Can I order personalized plates a DMV office?
Yes, but you can save yourself trip. It’s faster and easier to do it online.
How long will it take to receive my new custom plates and registration?
- In approximately 10 days or less after your order is processed, you will receive new documents that show your current plate number and your new plate combination.
- Allow at least six weeks for the custom plates to arrive
- Your new registration documents will be mailed separately from your new custom plates
- If you do not receive your registration documents within two weeks or your custom plates within six weeks, contact the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838.
What can I do with my current vehicle plates when I receive my new plates?
To protect against the fraudulent use of your current vehicle plates, mark each vehicle plate with a permanent ink pen. Do not put both vehicle plates in the recycling/garbage on the same day.
- 1. You can’t order personalized plates before your vehicle is registered, when renewing your registration, or before transferring a registration. You must have a registration windshield sticker, receipt and regular series plates issued by DMV before ordering personalized plates.
- 2. To order personalized plates for the disabled that have the International Symbol of Access, call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
- 3. If your registration expires within the next 60 days, renew your registration before you order personalized plates.
- 4. Change your address online before ordering personalized plates.
- 5. You must visit a DMV office to change your name on all DMV records and documents. Learn more about how to change your name.
- 6. We accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard and VISA.
- 7. Some picture or professional plates can’t be purchased by mail.
- 8. Some plates are not available by phone. Professional, emergency services, veterans and some organization plates are limited to membership and must be ordered through the organization or directly from the Custom Plates Unit, with documentation.