Become a registered transporter
Becoming a registered transporter means you can get transporter plates for your transport vehicle(s).
Transporter plates are issued to a registered dealer and to any person, firm, association or corporation engaged in a business requiring the limited operation of motor vehicles in order to facilitate the delivery, repair or improvement thereof or the installation of something thereon.
In addition to the uses stated above, transporter plates may be used on vehicles owned by a manufacturer for demonstrated purposes. This includes
- credit and finance companies
- automobile repair shops
- automobile painters
- automobile body builders
- automobile radio installers and installers of other equipment in or on motor vehicles
- transporters of vehicles from automobile factories or assembling plants
How do I become a registered transporter?
Transporters must submit proof that they have need for such plates. To become a registered transporter with the Department of Motor Vehicles in New York State
- consult the DMV Commissioner’s Regulations for Motor Vehicle Dealers and Transporters (CR-78)
- download and read Facility Requirements - Dealers/Transporters (VS-142)
- submit the Original Facility Application with all required documentation
You can also call the Office of Vehicle Safety at 1-518-474-0919 to get more information.
What do I need to send with my complete application?
Your application must include
- proof of Workers Compensation Insurance or a statement that you have no employees
- a Filing Receipt from the NYS Department of State (Corporation or LLC) or a Business Certificate from the County Clerk (Individual using assumed name or partnership)
- a copy of your driver license or government issued photo ID
- a statement regarding why you need transporter plates
- all fees
Where do I send my application?
You must submit your application, associated documents and fees to this address
NYS DMV Bureau of Consumer & Facility Services
P.O. Box 2700
Albany, NY 12220-0700