General information for dealers and transporters

Where can I find information about operating a dealer or transporter business in New York State?

The best source of information is the NYS Dealers & Transporters Regulations (CR-78).

Can I sell a retail vehicle “as is”?

No. Some exceptions allow you to use a Salvage Certificate (MV-907A) to sell a vehicle as "junk". The DMV cannot issue a title certificate or a registration to a junk vehicle or a salvage vehicle that is rebuilt unless the vehicle passes a salvage vehicle examination. If a title certificate is issued it will receive a brand that displays "REBUILT SALVAGE:NY".

Do I need to indicate the selling price on Retail Certificates of Sale (MV-50) if I sell a vehicle wholesale?

No. The selling price is not required on form MV-50 when a vehicle is sold wholesale.

Is a New York State inspection required for a vehicle that is sold to a customer who does not reside in New York State?

No. A New York State inspection is not required for a vehicle registered in another state.

Must I provide a warranty on a vehicle that has at least 110,000 miles and which was sold to a retail customer for $1,295?

These terms refer to the warranties described by the Office of the Attorney General (website: in the 'Lemon Law'. The Vehicle and Traffic Law requires a dealer to complete the Used Vehicle Certification on form MV-50. The law applies to all vehicles sold at any selling price and which display any odometer reading. The vehicle must be acceptable for use on the road at the time of sale.


I cannot get the title certificate for a vehicle I sold. The temporary registration I issued to the customer expires soon. Can I issue another temporary registration?

No. According to the DMV Commissioner's Regulations, you cannot sell a vehicle if you do not have proof of ownership. You cannot issue an additional temporary registration under any circumstances.

Where can I get a surety bond?

Contact a surety insurance company. Make sure that the business name and mailing address on the bond exactly match the business name and mailing address on your DMV facility license. Make sure that you write your Facility Number on the bond.

What is the amount of the bond that a dealer is required to have?

The bond amount depends on the number of vehicles the dealer sold in the previous calendar year, or if the dealer is licensed as a franchised new dealer. Refer to the chart below

# of vehicles sold in previous calendar yearBond amount
50 or fewer$20,000
More than 50$100,000
Franchised dealers selling cars, SUVs, light trucks, etc.
* Dealers selling only trailers, motorcycles, vehicles over 10,000 pounds, ATVs, boats, snowmobiles are exempt from the bond requirements.

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.