Junk and Salvage businesses
Important: New Salvage Vehicle Application
The DMV has a new Salvage Examination/Title Application (MV-83SAL). This form replaces the MV-899 and MV-82 to apply for a Salvage Vehicle exam. The MV-83SAL
- clearly shows what fees apply to you
- can be completed online and printed like other DMV forms
- includes a handy checklist to help you avoid missing documents
Hard copies of the MV-83SAL will be available at DMV offices by early December 2015. As of December 31st, 2015 we will no longer accept MV-899/MV-82TON applications.
What are Junk and Salvage businesses?
DMV considers the following types of businesses Junk and Salvage businesses
- vehicle dismantlers
- salvage pools
- itinerant vehicle collectors
- mobile car crushers
- scrap processors
- scrap collectors
- drive-in appraisers
- repair shops that dispose of vehicle scrap
How do I open a Junk and Salvage business in New York State?
To become a Junk & Salvage business licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles in New York State, you must
- consult the DMV Information & Regulations for Junk & Salvage Businesses (CR-81)
- read the Junk and Salvage Requirements (VS-144)
- submit the Original Facility Application for a Junk and Salvage Business, with all required documentation
You can also call the DMV Office of Vehicle Safety and Clean Air at 1-518-474-4653 to get the forms, or call 1-518-474-0919 to get more information.
What do I need to send with my application?
Your application must include
- a copy of your Sales Tax Certificate of Authority (not just your tax ID number)
- all fees
Where do I send my application?
You must submit a hard copy of your application, associated documents and fee to this address
NYS DMV Bureau of Consumer & Facility Services
P.O. Box 2700
Albany, NY 12220-0700
How long will it take to process my application?
It will take 6 to 8 weeks for us to process your application.
If my application is not accepted will I receive a refund?
Yes. You will receive a refund eight to twelve weeks after the Department of Audit and Control receives your refund voucher.
Where can I check the status of Salvage Certificates (form MV-907A) I ordered?
You can check the status of your order online. You will need
- your facility number
- facility ZIP Code
- email address