Military and Veteran Resources

Use these pages to quickly find helpful information for those who currently serve in the US Armed Forces and their families, and military veterans and their families.

For more resources visit the New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs

Safety restraints

Are child safety seats and child restraint systems required in New York State?

Yes. New York State law requires that

Parking for people with disabilities

For more information about reserved parking for people with disabilities, read the DMV brochure, Parking for People With Disabilities.

Clean Pass Stickers for High-Occupancy Vehicle Lanes on the Long Island Expressway

What is the "Clean Pass" Vehicle (CPV) Program?

The CPV program is a pilot program that is designed to encourage the purchase and use of vehicles that are very fuel efficient and that significantly reduce vehicle exhaust emissions.  The program is a joint effort by the NYS Department of Transportation (DOT), the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, and the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

The DOT website has more details about the program.

How to serve a subpoena

Service of a subpoena on DMV may be made in the following ways:

In-person at

Customer Service Counter
Room 136
Swan Street Building
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY  12228

8:00am to 3:45pm, Monday through Friday, except state holidays


By mail to
Subpoena Office
6 Empire State Plaza, Room 327
Albany, NY 12228 

DIAL-IN search accounts

Log On to Dial-In


What is a Dial-in search account and who can get one?

If you regularly need to search DMV records for driver license, registration, vehicle (title) or insurance information, then DIAL-IN is the service you need. Our typical clients include attorneys, insurance and private investigators, process servers and building/site security personnel.

Get a Temporary Authority (TA)

What is a Temporary Authority (TA)?

An IRP Temporary Authority (TA) is a temporary permit valid for a maximum of 30 days that allows you to operate a vehicle in your fleet while the International Registration Bureau (IRB) processes the permanent registration for that vehicle.

To apply for a TA, you must have a valid, paid IRP account with NYS DMV for the current registration year.

When can I apply for a TA?

You can apply for a TA when you make the following changes to your IRP fleet


Subscribe to New York State of Opportunity Department of Motor Vehicles RSS