Order picture and professional plates
You can order picture or professional plates for passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles and motorcycles. 1
Many picture or professional plates can also be personalized. You can browse our collection of picture and professional plates and order online directly from the pages below. The categories are:
- I Love NY Adventure plates
- Military and Veterans
- Counties and Regions of NYS
- Colleges, Fraternities, Sororities
- Motorcycle Plates
You can order many picture plates online, see the list above for more information on how to order a plate.
If you wish to purchase plates for people with disabilities that have the Universal Symbol of Access, you must contact the Custom Plates Unit. 2
All professional and military/veteran plates, and some organization picture plates require you to provide proof or certification that you are eligible. These plates must be ordered through the organization or the Custom Plates Unit.
To order picture or professional plates online:
- You must have a valid New York State vehicle registration in the passenger, commercial or motorcycle registration class that does not expire within 60 days. 3
- The mailing address on your vehicle registration record must be your current mailing address. 4
- Your vehicle registration record must match your current name if your name has changed. 5
- You must provide your current plate number, the 3-letter registration class code and the first three letters of your last name. See a sample registration document.
- You must have a credit card that DMV accepts, and a valid email address for confirmation purposes. 6
Order by mail
Mail the completed form and your payment to:
Custom Plates Unit
P.O. Box 2775
Albany, NY 12220
Order by phone
You can order by phone, however it’s faster and easier to do it online. Call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. 8
Order at a DMV office
Yes, but you can save yourself trip. It’s faster and easier to do it online.
Professional plates can only be ordered from the Custom Plates Unit with proper proof or certification. 9
Receiveing custom plates and registration
- In approximately 10 days or less after your order is processed, you will receive new documents that show your current plate number and your new plate combination.
- Allow at least six weeks for the custom plates to arrive.
- Your new registration documents will be mailed separately from your new custom plates
If you do not receive your registration documents within two weeks or your custom plates within six weeks, contact the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Destroy your old plates
Once you receive your new plates you will want to destroy your old plates to protect against the fraudulent use. Mark each vehicle plate with a permanent marker. Do not put both vehicle plates in the recycling/garbage on the same day.
- 1. You can’t order picture or professional plates before your vehicle is registered, when renewing your registration, or before transferring a registration. You must have a registration windshield sticker, receipt and regular series plates issued by DMV before ordering picture or professional plates.
- 2. Call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
- 3. If your registration expires within the next 60 days, renew your registration before you order picture or professional plates.
- 4. Change your address online before ordering picture or professional plates.
- 5. You must visit a DMV office to change your name on all DMV records and documents. Learn more about how to change your name.
- 6. We accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard and VISA.
- 7. Some picture plates can’t be purchased by mail.
- 8. Some plates are not available by phone. Professional, emergency services and some organization plates are limited to membership and must be ordered through the organization or directly from the Custom Plates Unit, with documentation.
- 9. Call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.