Register a recreational vehicle (snowmobile, boat, moped or ATV)
How do I register my recreational vehicle?
Recreational vehicles must be registered in New York State. There are some types of motorized devices that cannot be registered or operated here.
Before you purchase a vehicle, trailer, boat, snowmobile, or an ATV, make sure that you can receive proof of ownership. You’ll need it to register your vehicle or obtain a title certificate.
See the special instructions for how to register your recreational vehicle
- out-of-state visitors
- you can register for the first time right now!
- if you registered your snowmobile in New York before, you can renew your registration
- Canadian visitors
- to register for the first time, please call 518-626-8989 between 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. weekdays
- If you registered your snowmobile in New York before, you can renew your registration
- boats if
- the boat isn’t used for commercial purposes in New York State
- the boat will be used on public waterways in New York State for 90 or more consecutive days
Remember that if you use a trailer to transport your recreational vehicle, you must register the trailer too.