Pay suspension termination fee
Before You Start
Your name and address must be up to date with DMV.
You can pay a suspension termination fee online, at a DMV office and, in some cases, by mail.
What is a suspension termination fee?
A suspension means your driver license (or privilege to drive) is taken away for a period of time before it is returned. There are two types of suspensions: definite and indefinite. A definite suspension order has a clear beginning and end date. 1 An indefinite suspension order means you must do something (such as answer a traffic ticket) before the suspension can be cleared. 2 By law, if you receive a definite suspension order from DMV, you must pay a suspension termination fee before your driver license or privilege to drive can be restored.
How much is the suspension termination fee for a definite suspension?
The suspension termination fee is currently $50 3, unless the suspension was for breaking the NYS Zero Tolerance alcohol law. The suspension termination fee for this offense is $100.
Can I pay the suspension termination fee for a definite suspension online?
Yes. The fastest way to pay the suspension termination fee for a definite suspension is online.
You must provide
- your name or Client ID Number (see sample driver license)
- your date of birth and gender
- the last four digits of your Social Security Number
Your name and address on DMV records must be correct. 4
Your payment does not guarantee that we will restore your driver license because there may be other problems on your record. It is your responsibility to know if your driver license or driving privilege is valid before you drive a motor vehicle. 5
Can I pay suspension termination fees online for more than one definite suspension?
Yes. You can pay up to 10 suspension termination fees in one day.
Can I pay the suspension termination fee for a definite suspension at a DMV office?
Yes. You can pay the suspension termination fee at the office or offices shown on your suspension order.
Can I pay the suspension termination fee for a definite suspension by mail?
In some cases, you can pay by mail. If the suspension termination fee can be mailed, you will find instructions on your suspension order.
After I pay the suspension termination fee, how can I check the status of my driver license or driving privilege?
When will I get my driver license back?
A definite suspension lasts until your suspension period ends. If you pay the suspension termination fee before the suspension period has ended, we will mail your license to you within 3 business days after the suspension period ends. 6 We will not mail your license to you if
- your driver license has expired
- you have a commercial driver license (CDL) 7
- you have a conditional or restricted license 8
- you have other suspensions, revocations or problems with your driver license
How do I know if my driver license was mailed?
Once you pay the suspension termination fee, wait for 3 business days after the suspension period ends and then use our Photo ID Document Mailing Status service.
- 1. A definite suspension means your driver license or privilege to drive is taken away for a certain amount of time. If you have a definite suspension, your suspension order will tell you how long the suspension period will last. You cannot drive until the suspension period ends, pay a suspension termination fee of $50 and have valid driver license. Commons reasons for definite suspensions are
- you did not have automobile liability insurance
- you were convicted of an alcohol or drugged driving charge
- you received too many traffic tickets in a certain amount of time
- you did not follow the rules for junior drivers
- 2. An indefinite suspension means your driver license or privilege to drive was taken away because you failed to do something. Your driver license or privilege to drive will remain suspended until you comply with the instructions on your suspension order. You may also be required to pay a suspension termination fee. Commons reasons for indefinite suspensions are
- you did not answer a traffic ticket
- you did not pay a traffic ticket fine
- you did not file a motor vehicle accident report
- you failed to pay child support.
- 3. If the effective date of your suspension order is before July 6, 2009, the suspension termination fee is $25.
- 4. You can confirm or change your address online, but you must create a MyDMV account first. If you need to change your name, you must go to a DMV office.
- 5. You can check the status of your driver license and driving privilege online if you sign up for a MyDMV account and use our MyLicense service. If you need proof that DMV removed your suspension, you can order a certified copy of your driving record.
- 6. If you surrendered your license, DMV will mail you a new document, not the one you surrendered.
- 7. Although you can pay suspension termination fees online, you must go to a DMV office to get your commercial driver license back.
- 8. Although you can pay suspension termination fees online, you must go to a DMV office to get your full driver license back if you have you have a conditional or restricted license.