Buy or sell a vehicle (transfer ownership)
The seller must either
- complete and sign the transfer ownership section of the title certificate, and
- sign a bill of sale (even if it is a gift)
- provide other acceptable proofs of ownership and transfer of ownership
The buyer must
- sign the bill of sale (even if it is a gift)
- pay sales tax or have proof of an exemption
- register and title the vehicle or trailer (or snowmobile, boat, moped or ATV) or transfer a registration from another vehicle they own to their new vehicle
Proof of ownership
The proofs of ownership needed to register and title a vehicle in New York are different for different types of vehicles (for example, cars, trailers, boats, snowmobiles, manufactured homes).
- Acceptable proofs ownership
- Deceased owner
- Proof of ownership at purchase
- Proof of ownership is not available
How to register
See information for how to register a vehicle you bought (or received as a gift).
- Register and title a vehicle or trailer
- Register a snowmobile, boat or ATV
- Transfer a registration to another vehicle you own
You must register the vehicle at a DMV office. This cannot be done over the phone, online, or by mail.
You cannot change the name on the vehicle registration or the title certificate to the name of another person. You must transfer the ownership of the vehicle.
You can check the National Insurance Crime Bureau database to see if a vehicle is flood damaged. You will need the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).