Estimate registration fees and taxes
Before You Start
Be aware that this service does not
- include sales tax estimates
- estimate registration fees for trailers or boats
What fees and taxes do I need to pay to register and title a vehicle in New York State?
If this is the original (first-time) registration of your vehicle, you must pay the
- registration fee
- vehicle plate fee
- county use tax
- sales tax (see sales tax information)
- title certificate fee ($50)
- MCTD 1 fee for the following 12 counties only: Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island), Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester
If you transfer the registration and plates from another vehicle, you don’t need to pay the plate fees or MCTD fee, and you may be able to transfer the registration fees to your new vehicle.
How can I estimate the total fees and taxes I must pay?
You can also use these charts to estimate your registration fees, use taxes, and supplemental fees for
How can I estimate my trailer or boat registration fees?
Trailer and boat registration fees are calculated differently. You can’t use the online service to estimate them. See register a trailer, or register a boat for how to estimate these registration fees.