Register and title a recreational vehicle (snowmobile, boat, moped or ATV)

How do I register my recreational vehicle?

Recreational vehicles must be registered in New York State. There are some types of motorized devices that cannot be registered or operated here.

Before you purchase a vehicle, trailer, boat, snowmobile, or an ATV, make sure that you can receive proof of ownership.  You’ll need it to register your vehicle or obtain a title certificate.

See the special instructions for how to register your recreational vehicle

  • snowmobiles
  • boats if
    • the boat isn’t used for commercial purposes in New York State
    • the boat will be used on public waterways in New York State for 90 or more consecutive days
  • ATVs
  • mopeds

Remember that if you use a trailer to transport your recreational vehicle, you must register the trailer too.