Register a vehicle when you are out-of-state

How do I register a vehicle while I am outside of New York State?

You can apply for a NYS Registration and a Title Certificate by mail from outside of New York. You will need to mail these items to a local DMV office 1

You must contact the motor vehicle agency in the other state to determine if their laws require that you register your vehicles there. The definition of "resident" is different in each state. Read the NYS definition of 'resident.' 4

Once we process your application, we will send you these items in one package

  • your registration documents
  • your vehicle plates
  • a 10-day Inspection Extension Sticker (VS-1077)

Put the 10-day Inspection Sticker on your vehicle when you enter New York State (not before).  Mark the box on the sticker that indicates you entered New York, and write the date you entered.

We will send you your title certificate separately.    

How long will it take receive my registration and title?

  • Allow 6 weeks for your registration documents to arrive by mail.
  • Allow 90 days for your title certificate to arrive. 

It will take longer to receive your documents if you are outside of the United States. 

Can I receive my registration documents by express mail?

Yes. To do this, enclose a pre-paid, pre-addressed express mail package with your application. Make sure the package can contain vehicle plates.

Can I have my registration sent to an address that is different from my registration document?

Yes. Include a separate note with your Application for Registration / Title (MV-82), and clearly print the alternate address. Do not write the alternate address on your application. If you do, DMV will prints the alternate address on your registration document and registration record.

Can I have my title certificate sent to an address different from my registration?

No. The DMV sends the title certificate to the mailing address on your registration application. The DMV cannot send the title certificate to another address.

My vehicle is coming from another country. What do I need to do?

Read the instructions for how to register an imported vehicle.

Can another person submit my registration application at a DMV office for me?

 Yes. Read the instructions for how to register a vehicle for someone else to learn how to do this.


  • 1. We recommend sending any original documents by insured or priority mail. It can be difficult to replace documents that are lost in the mail.
  • 2. The DMV requires auto liability insurance to register a vehicle in New York. When you get insurance, your insurance company will issue proof of insurance in two ways: (1) It will give you two barcoded NYS Insurance Identification Cards (see sample), and (2) it will send an electronic notice of insurance coverage to the DMV (your insurance agent or broker cannot file this notice). Your NYS Insurance Identification Cards and the electronic notice of insurance together verify your insurance coverage. We need both. You must register your vehicle at the DMV within 45 days of the effective date on your insurance ID card. Bring one copy of your Insurance Identification Cards with you. The DMV office will keep it. Keep the other card with the vehicle as your proof of insurance. Learn more about New York State insurance requirements.
  • 3. You must be at least 16 years old to register a vehicle in New York (except for ATVs). A NYS Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID card that is current or not expired for more than 2 years can serve as proof of both identity and age. If you don’t have a NYS driver license, learner permit, or non-driver ID, you provide other kinds of proof. See the Proof of Identity for Registration and Title (ID-82) form for all the proofs that the DMV will accept. Note: If you were born in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island or Queens, you can order a copy of your birth certificate from the New York City Office of Vital Records website: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/services/vr.shtml
  • 4. Most states allow a non-resident to register a vehicle. It can be easier to apply for a vehicle registration and title certificate in the other state.

    If you are traveling and your registration expires, you should determine if the other state can issue an "in-transit" permit, which allows you to transport a vehicle to New York so that you can register it.

    Definition of New York State Resident

    Section 250 (5) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the term 'resident.' The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NYS with the intent to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of NYS. A police officer can use this evidence as the reason to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in NYS without a driver license or vehicle registration issued by NYS.

    A judge considers the law and the evidence of your intent and decides if you are a resident of NYS. For example, if you pay taxes or your children attend school in another state, a judge considers these facts to decide if your intent is to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" residence. The DMV will not decide if you are a resident of NYS, if you must get a NYS driver license, or if you must register your vehicle in NYS.

    According to this law, students from other states or from other nations who attend school in NYS are normally not considered residents of NYS.