Renew a registration
How do I renew my registration?
You can renew your vehicle, boat, snowmobile or light trailer registration online, by mail, or at a DMV office. Allow 10 days for your new registration documents to arrive in the mail.
You can’t renew a registration that
- is suspended or revoked
- is expired for more than 1 year
- has not been inspected in the past 12 months
How can I know when my registration will expire?
If you are in the Armed Forces and are returning from active military duty, you may have more time to renew. Learn more.
How can I renew online?
You can renew most vehicles online, including boats and snowmobiles. Don't renew online if you are eligible for a 'no fee' renewal.1 Some vehicles are not eligible. 2 Your computer must accept cookies. 3
When you’re finished, you can download and print a temporary registration that's valid for 10 days after the day you renew. 4
To renew you will need
- your registration (plate) number what is this?
- your registration class what is this?
- the last name of the person on the registration (or business name)
- a credit or pinless debit card for payment
You can also renew through My Registrations and Paperless Reminders and check your registration information at the same time.
My registration is about to expire or it already expired. Can I still renew online?
Yes. You can renew online up to one year past the expiration date. You can download and print a temporary registration that's valid for 10 days after the day you renew. 5
Can I renew online if I need to change my address?
Your mailing address on DMV files must be current. You cannot change it during the transaction. First change your address online and then renew.
Note: If you file a request with the US Postal Service (USPS) to forward mail, there is no guarantee that the USPS will forward all DMV documents to your new address.
Can I renew online if my name changed?
Yes, but the new document will display your previous name. You cannot change your name during the online transaction. Read the instructions to change your name or other information on a registration or title.
What is the fee to renew?
The fee is on your renewal notice, and displayed on your computer screen when you renew online. If you do not know the correct amount, send a check payable to 'Commissioner of Motor Vehicles' with your registration renewal, but do not write the amount.
Can I renew by mail?
Yes. Mail the bottom part of your registration renewal notice (MV-3) to the address listed on the notice. Include a personal check or money order payable to 'Commissioner of Motor Vehicles' for the fee.
If you don't have your MV-3, use the Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82). Mail the MV-82 and your payment to
NYS DMV Port Jefferson Office
3 Roads Plaza
1055 Route 112
Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776
NYS DMV Port Jefferson Office
Can I renew at a DMV office?
Yes. Use either the renewal notice that you received in the mail, or the Vehicle
Registration/Title Application (MV-82) to renew your registration at a DMV office.
- 1. If you are eligible for a 'no fee' registration you will need to renew at an office. You'll need to bring documentation to to prove you are eligible for exempt status.
You can’t renew registrations online for
- vehicles that are exempt from the payment of registration fees
- vehicles that require the registrant to provide proof of insurance, a tax certificate, or another document for each renewal
- vehicles that weigh 55,000 lbs. or more
- for-hire vehicles (this includes taxis, livery vehicles, and buses)
- semi-trailers with 6-year registrations
- vehicles with an apportioned registration issued under the International Registration Plan (IRP)
- vehicles with an ambulance, NYP (New York press), government or official registration
- rental vehicles
We may use the cookie feature to store a randomly generated identifying tag on the device you use to access this website. A session cookie is erased during operation of your browser or when your browser is closed. The software and hardware you use to access the website allows you to refuse new cookies or delete existing cookies.
Refusing or deleting these cookies may limit your ability to take advantage of some features of this website.
- 4. Only use the temporary if your registration is expired or about to expire, while you wait for your new registration documents to arrive in the mail.
- 5. Only use the temporary if your registration is expired or about to expire, while you wait for your new registration documents to arrive in the mail.