Replace a title certificate
How do I replace a title certificate?
You can replace a title certificate online (the fastest and easiest way), by mail or at a DMV office.
When applying for a replacement title at a DMV office, you will NOT be issued the replacement title while there. All title certificates are printed in a secure facility in Albany and are mailed to the owner.
Can I request to have the replacement title sent by express mail?
Yes. The DMV send it to you by express mail. This will cost extra, and you will need to sign for the delivery.
How can I replace my title certificate online?
To replace your title certificate online
- you must be the owner of the vehicle or boat
- you must have a current U.S. address on file with the DMV 1
- the vehicle must be registered and titled in New York State
- there can be no other changes to the information listed on the title certificate
You cannot order a title certificate online if
- a title certificate was processed within the last 15 days
- the title certificate is
- a duplicate title certificate with a lien removed
- an original or amended title certificate
- in the name of a deceased owner
- ordered using a Power of Attorney
When do title certificates ordered online get printed and mailed?
Printing and mailing times (Eastern Time) for title certificates ordered online are as follows:
|Ordered||Printed and mailed|
|before 8 pm||printed next business day; mailed second business day|
|Monday through Thursday after 8 pm||printed two business days after ordered; mailed third business day|
|Friday, Saturday or Sunday||printed on Monday; mailed on Tuesday|
- a title ordered before 8 p.m. on Tuesday is printed on Wednesday and mailed on Thursday
- a title ordered after 8 p.m. on Tuesday is printed on Thursday and mailed on Friday
Can I replace my title certificate online if I need to change my address?
Your mailing address on DMV files must be current. You cannot change your address during the transaction. You can first change your address online and then replace your title.
Note: If you file a request with the US Postal Service (USPS) to forward mail there, is no guarantee that the USPS will forward all DMV documents to the new address.
How can I order my title certificate by mail?
Send these items to the DMV
- a completed the Application for Duplicate Title (MV-902)
- proof of identity - this can be a photocopy of your NYS Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID (see Proofs of Identify for Registration and Title (ID-82) for other acceptable proof)
- a personal check or money order for $20.00 payable to ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles’
To receive your title by standard mail, mail to
PO Box 2750
Albany, NY 12220-0750
To send and receive the application by express mail service, use the address below.
Duplicate Title Certificates
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
Use the Title Service Bureau phone number, (518) 486-4714, on your express mail bill.
Can I replace my title certificate at a DMV office?
When applying for a replacement title at a DMV office, you will NOT be issued the replacement title while there. All title certificates are printed in a secure facility in Albany and are mailed to the owner. For this reason, the fastest and easiest way to apply for a replacement title is to do it online.
How do I apply for a title certificate only, and not for a registration or vehicle plates?
Use the Application for Title Only (MV-82TON). Follow the instructions carefully.
Do not use Application for Title Only to
- apply for both a vehicle registration and a title certificate at the same time
- replace a lost title certificate
- 1. Your duplicate title certificate will be sent to the address on file at the DMV. If you moved, learn how to change your address.
- 2. A NYS Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID card that is current or not expired for more than 2 years can serve as proof of both identity and age.
If you don’t have a NYS Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID, you can provide other kinds of proof.