Get proof of ownership at purchase

If you purchase a vehicle from a dealer

A DMV-licensed automobile dealer must have acceptable proof of ownership for a vehicle before they can sell that vehicle to you. Most NYS automobile dealers send the application for your vehicle registration and title certificate to the DMV. The dealer can charge a fee of $75 for this service.

The proof of ownership for a new vehicle is the

  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)

or the

  • Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), and
  • Retail Certificate of Sale (MV-50) (aka 'Dealer's Bill of Sale'). The proof of ownership for a used vehicle is the title certificate that the previous owner signed to transfer the ownership to the dealer and a form MV-50 that the dealer signs to transfer ownership to you. Out-of-state dealers use a different bill of sale form.

If you cannot get acceptable proof of ownership from a NYS dealer, see how to report a problem with a DMV regulated automotive business.

If you purchase or receive the vehicle as a gift from another person

If you buy a vehicle, a boat, an ATV, or a snowmobile from another person who is not a DMV-licensed automobile dealer or receive it as a gift, make sure that you receive acceptable proof of ownership.

Bill of Sale

Proof of ownership normally includes a bill of sale. The DMV does not provide a form for a bill of sale.  Learn about bills of sale.