Change address on license and registrations
You must report a change of residence address on a license, permit, non-driver ID, or registration to the DMV within 10 days.
You should know that
- an address change with the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) does not update your DMV records 1
- when you change your address for a vehicle registration, we also update the title certificate record
- you do not need to order new DMV documents with your new address 2
- updating your address for a traffic ticket does not update your address on other DMV records 3
There are instructions to change your name or other (non-address) information.
Online through MyDMV
To change the address on your license, permit, non-driver ID and/or registration(s), you will need the ID number and document number from your most recently issued New York State
- driver license,
- learner permit, or
- non-driver ID
To change your license, permit, non-driver ID and/or the address on your registration(s), mail a completed Change Address (MV-232) form to
NYS DMV License Production Bureau
PO Box 2895
Albany, NY 12220-0895
If you want to replace your documents, be sure to include payment.
At a DMV office
Unless you need to change your name or you want a new photo on your license or non-driver ID, there is no need to come to a DMV office.
You can have different addresses on your license and registrations
The DMV sends documents and important notices to customers by mail. The DMV recommends that you use the same address on all of your applications, documents, and transactions.
You cannot have different addresses on your vehicle registration and Insurance Identification Card
Your address on your vehicle registration and your NYS Insurance ID Card (FS-20) must be the same.
- 1. You must report your address change to both the DMV and the USPS.
- 2. When you change your address, you can write your new address on the back of your driver license, non-driver ID card or learner permit, and on the front of the registration document (carefully draw lines through the old address). Do not write the new address on a title certificate.
- 3. If you update your address for a Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB) traffic ticket transaction, the update does not change the address on your driver license, non-driver ID, permit, or vehicle registration records. If you update the address for your driver license, non-driver ID, permit, or vehicle registration records, the update does not change the address for your traffic ticket.