How to change your address


Update your address within 10 days of moving or if there is an error

  • If you move, you must change your address on your license, permit, non-driver ID, and vehicle records with the DMV within 10 days.
  • If you discover an error on your address, you should correct it. 
  • When you change your address for a vehicle registration, we also update the title certificate record.
    • If the name on your registration record does not exactly match what is on your title certificate you will need to contact the Title Services Bureau at 1-518-486-4714 to update the address on your title record.
  • While it is recommended, you do not need to order new DMV documents with your new address. You can write your new address on the back of your driver license, non-driver ID card, or learner permit, and on the front of the registration document (carefully draw lines through the old address). Do not write the new address on a title certificate.
  • The DMV sends documents and important notices to customers by mail. We recommend that you use the same address on all of your applications, documents, and transactions.

The U.S. Postal Service does not notify DMV when you change your mailing address 

Changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service does not update your DMV records. You must still report your address change to both the U.S. Postal Service and the DMV.

For Traffic Violations Bureau tickets

If you update your address for a Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB) traffic ticket transaction, the update does not change the address on your driver license, non-driver ID, permit, or vehicle registration records.

If you update the address for your driver license, non-driver ID, permit, or vehicle registration records, the update does not change the address for your traffic ticket.


How to update


You need a MyDMV account to change your address online.

If you already have a MyDMV account

Log in to ID to access your MyDMV account

If you do not have a MyDMV account

You will need information from your most recently issued New York State driver license, learner permit, or non-driver ID (see sample ID documents).

If you lost your document, renewed or ordered a new one recently and have not received it in the mail yet, you will need to wait for it to arrive before you can create a MyDMV account.

Sign up for MyDMV

By mail

To change your license, permit, non-driver ID and/or the address on your registration(s), mail a completed Address Change (PDF) (MV-232) form to

NYS DMV License Production Bureau
PO Box 2895
Albany, NY 12220-0895

Important: You must submit a copy (front and back) of your current valid New York State Driver License/Permit/Non-driver ID or Military ID with your application. If you do not have your current valid New York State License/Permit/Non-driver ID or Military ID, you cannot change your address by mail and must complete the address change transaction at a DMV office.

Find office locations

If you want to replace your documents, be sure to include payment. You can find payment information on the Change Address (MV-232) form.


Additional information

You may have different mailing and residential addresses on photo ID documents. A standard ID will show your mailing address. A REAL ID or Enhanced ID will show your residential address. See more information about different document types.