Cancel, reinstate, or change insurance coverage

What happens if I cancel, reinstate, or get new insurance?

Your insurance company must notify the DMV electronically if your insurance coverage is

  • cancelled
  • reinstated
  • you get new insurance coverage

If your company does not file an electronic notice to DMV, the DMV will send you a letter about your insurance. Read the insert mailed with the letter and follow the instructions on the letter.

You must respond to the DMV letter immediately or surrender your plates. If you do not, the DMV will suspend your registration and driver license.

In your response to the DMV letter you must

  • prove that you have insurance coverage
  • prove that you sold the vehicle
  • prove that insurance coverage was not required in New York State

If you have insurance coverage, also ask your insurance company (do not ask your agent or broker) to file an electronic notice of insurance coverage with the DMV.

If you do not have liability insurance, you must surrender your vehicle plates to the DMV immediately. 

If your liability insurance is about to lapse and you don’t plan to replace it with other insurance, surrender your vehicle plates to the DMV before the lapse.