How to apply
Most positions in the DMV are filled through competitive exams. Exams are advertised in three formats to help potential applicants decide which ones they should apply for
- open to state employees only
- open to all qualified individuals
- continuous recruitment
Exams are open to anyone who meets the minimum qualifications as indicated on the exam announcements; and nearly all exams require a non-refundable application processing fee. There are application deadlines for the majority of exams, but applicants can file at any time for continuous recruitment exams.
You may apply for most exams online or by using the paper application (form NYS-APP ). Please see How to Apply on the exam announcement(s).
Note: To fulfill its responsibility to safeguard New York State assets and to maintain the public confidence, NYS DMV conducts a fingerprint background check of all new employees.
Where to find Department of Civil Service exam announcements
- The NYS Department of Civil Service Web site State Exams page.
- Sign up for Department of Civil Service e-mail notifications to receive automatic emails of newly issued exam announcements.
- Civil Service Outreach Offices (by mail or in person).
- Exam announcements are also posted in public buildings such as the NYS Department of Labor Community Service Centers, libraries and colleges.