Commercial Driver Licenses (CDL)


Important updates on federal medical certification waivers can be found at Medical Certification Requirements. 


Important information for stretch limo drivers  

NYS commercial driver’s license standards require drivers of stretch limousines which carry nine (9) or more passengers including the driver to hold, at a minimum, a CDL Class C license, with a Passenger (P) endorsement.

NOTE: A road test is required to obtain the minimum class license.


See information about covered farm vehicles.


Get a CDL for the first time

A commercial driver license is required to operate large or heavy vehicles. This includes, but is not limited to, dump trucks, tractor trailers, buses, and stretch limos.


If you already have a CDL

You can


Medical certification

Federal regulations require that every commercial driver certify to the type of commercial driving they perform. 


Endorsements, restrictions and waivers


Motor Carriers




Outside of DMV