Get a hazardous materials (HazMat) endorsement

See location, instructions and reservation information for your DMV

How do I get a hazardous materials (HazMat) endorsement?

You must first have a CDL to apply for the HazMat endorsement. A driver with a NY State CDL must have an "H" or an "X" HazMat endorsement to operate commercial motor vehicles that carry hazardous materials. Read the CDL Manual (CDL-10), Hazardous Materials Manual (pdf) (CDL-11), and Driver License Class Descriptions (pdf) (MV-500C)  for more information.


What requirements do I have to meet to apply for a HazMat endorsement?

  • You must be a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and present proof of citizenship or resident status at the time you apply for the hazardous materials endorsement. See Important Information about the Hazardous Materials Endorsement (pdf) (HAZ-11) for a list of acceptable proof of citizenship or resident status.
  • You must meet the federal medical requirements in 49 CFR Part 391 and have a valid USDOT Medical Examiner's Certificate. See Medical Certification Requirements for more information.
  • You must be fingerprinted for background checks. 1
  • EFFECTIVE February 7, 2022: If you are applying for a HazMat Endorsement for the first time you MUST complete HazMat entry-level driver training (ELDT) PRIOR to taking the HazMat Knowledge Test. The DMV will check to make sure your Hazmat ELDT is on file before allowing you to take the Hazmat Knowledge Test. If your Hazmat ELDT is not on file, then you will NOT be allowed to take the Hazmat Knowledge Test. The training provider must be registered on the FMCSA Training Provider Registry. Go to ELDT-FAQ for more information about the ELDT requirement.


Is there anything that may disqualify me from getting a HazMat endorsement?

Yes, under federal law, the Federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) may disqualify you from being authorized to transport hazardous materials if

  • you have been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of any of the crimes listed on Important Information about the Hazardous Materials Endorsement (pdf) (HAZ-11) during the seven years before the date you apply for the endorsement
  • you have been released from incarceration in any jurisdiction for committing any disqualifying crime during the five years before the date you applied for the endorsement.


How do I apply for the HazMat endorsement?

Complete the Application for a Hazardous Materials Endorsement (pdf) (HAZ-44) and make a copy of one or more of the legal status documents that are listed on the form. Mail the completed form and a copy of your legal status document(s) to:

HazMat Unit
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228

You may contact the HazMat unit if you have questions by phone at 1-518-408-2997 or email at  [email protected]


Do I need to take a written test?

Yes, you must pass a HazMat endorsement written test. You must visit a DMV office to pay the $5.00 written test fee and take the test. The test result is valid until your CDL expires. 2

You can study the hazardous materials section of the NYS Commercial Driver License Manual (CDL-10), or study the Hazardous Materials Manual (pdf) (CDL-11).

EFFECTIVE February 7, 2022: If you are applying for a Hazmat endorsement for the first time, you must complete Hazmat entry-level driver training before you take the Hazardous Materials knowledge test.



How do I provide my fingerprints for background checks?

The required fingerprinting service is being provided by Identogo. All HazMat endorsement applicants must be fingerprinted at one of the Identogo ID centers located throughout New York State. 3 4

Fingerprinting is done by appointment only. You must contact Identogo to select a fingerprinting location and schedule an appointment.  Visit or by calling 1-877-472-6915. 

Attain Fingerprinting Services Information (HAZ-600) to make your appointment.  Bring your NY State CDL and one of the second proofs of ID that are listed on form HAZ-600 to the appointment site.


How long will the background checks take and how will I be notified of the results?

The federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) recommends that all applicants enroll for the HME Security Threat Assessment (including renewals) a minimum of 60 days before applicants require an eligibility determination. TSA is experiencing increased demand for HME assessments, and the processing times for some applicants may exceed 45 days.

The federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will notify you by mail of the results of the background check based on federal standards only. The TSA website has information about the federal background checks for the HazMat endorsements. 5

Please do not request the results of background checks from the DMV, Identogo, or the TSA. Wait to receive the notifications in the mail.


Can I get a temporary HazMat endorsement before the background checks are complete?

No. We cannot issue the HazMat endorsement until the background checks are completed and approved. The DMV will provide a CDL with the HazMat endorsement that is valid for 90 days only if

  • you applied to renew a current NY State CDL with a HazMat endorsement
  • the background checks are not completed and approved before the endorsement expires.


What if I do not pass the written test or the background checks?

If you do not pass the written test or the background checks, the DMV will issue a CDL that does not have a HazMat endorsement.


How will I know whether or not my application has been approved?

We will mail you notification of approval along with instructions to go into a DMV office to obtain a CDL with the HazMat endorsement. Your new CDL will display the expiration date of your CDL and the expiration date of your HazMat endorsement. The endorsement is valid for five years.

  1. 1. Federal and State laws require fingerprint-based background checks for anyone who wants a hazardous materials endorsement, to determine whether that person has a criminal history and/or poses a security threat that warrants denying him or her the authorization to transport hazardous materials. No hazardous materials endorsement may be issued, transferred or renewed unless the background checks result in a determination by the Federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and New York State that the person applying for the endorsement is authorized to transport hazardous materials. To initiate background checks, the rules require that the applicant be fingerprinted, and that the applicant's United States citizenship or permanent legal presence in the United States be verified.
  2. 2. You must answer 80% or more of the questions correctly to pass the test. You can take the test as many times as necessary until you pass the test, but you must pay a $5 fee for each test you take.
  3. 3. You must provide fingerprints even if you provided fingerprints for another application, for example for a pistol permit or employment as a security guard.
  4. 4. You must provide fingerprints for an H endorsement or an X endorsement on your CDL.
  5. 5. The background checks include a check of criminal history data from the NY State Division of Criminal Justice Services and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). There is also a background check by the federal Transportation Safety Administration (TSA).