Get a military skills test waiver

If you have military experience driving commercial motor vehicles you may apply for a waiver of the NYS CDL skills road test when you apply for a CDL.

To meet the requirements for this waiver, you  must

  • currently hold a valid New York State driver license or have a valid out of state driver license to be exchanged for a NYS driver license
  • meet all other requirements to qualify for a NYS CDL (see Get a CDL)
  • be currently regularly employed (or regularly employed within the last year) in a military position (active duty or New York National Guard) that requires operation of a CMV
  • have operated a CMV of the type that the driver operates or expects to operate for at least two years immediately before
    • the application date if in active service, or
    • the date of being discharged from the military

To apply, you must present the following at a DMV office

See location, instructions and reservation information for your DMV

You must pass all applicable written tests and pay the written test fee, permit fee and license fee. There is no skills test fee.

If you meet the requirements we will issue your CDL. The class, endorsements and restrictions on your CDL will depend upon the type of CMV you operated in the military. For more information, see the Driver License Class Descriptions (MV-500C).

Do it at the DMV

You must apply for a military skills test waiver at a DMV Office.

See location, instructions and reservation information for your DMV

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.