How to renew a CDL

WARNING: Your Standard CDL will not be accepted as proof of identification to board a domestic flight after October 1, 2020. If you plan to travel (and don't have a Passport), we recommend you upgrade to an Enhanced or REAL ID when you renew. Learn more about Enhanced, REAL ID and Standard documents

Don't delay! Get your Enhanced or REAL ID today. 


You must renew at a DMV office

You must come to a DMV office to renew a commercial driver license (CDL) or commercial license permit (CLP). Complete this guide to make sure you have the proofs of identification you need before coming.

Find your proofs

You will receive a temporary license to use until your new license arrives by mail within 10 business days.


What you need to renew a CDL 

In addition meeting the requirements to renew any type of driver license, to renew your CDL, you will need to

1) Meet the federal medical certification requirements 

You will need to indicate compliance when you answer the required questions on the MV-2CDL which is included with your renewal notice. See information about federal medical certification requirements.


2) Have proof of your legal presence in the United States on DMV records

The DMV Document Guide lists all acceptable legal presence and New York State residence proof documents. Please note: You must provide us the original documents (not photocopies), and documents submitted as proof of residence must have your current residence address on it (no P.O. Box permitted).

  • If you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you will only need to provide this proof on the first (original, amendment, reciprocity or renewal) application on or after June 18, 2015. We will retain the proof on your driving record. 
  • If you are temporary visitor, you will need to provide proof of legal presence in the U.S. with every application. Your new document will have the legend “NON-DOMICILED” and also “TEMPORARY VISITOR” and the expiration date of your legal status in the United States printed on it.

If you indicate NI (Non-excepted Interstate) or NA (Non-excepted Intrastate) on your renewal

If you indicate the driving types NI (Non-excepted Interstate) or NA (Non-excepted Intrastate) on your renewal, you must provide a legible copy of your current USDOT Medical Examiner’s Certificate to DMV if it is not already on file. Please see Federal Requirements for Commercial Driver License (CDL) Applicants (pdf) (MV-44.5) to help you determine your driving type.

Per Federal regulations, the DMV will check for any open suspensions or revocations you have in any state.  If you have an open suspension or revocation, we will reject your application.


Renewal Fees

The fees listed include the photo document fee and the supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee, if required. 1

Commercial driver license classes and fees
Commercial Driver License ClassFee+ MCTD Fee
A, B or C (Standard or REAL ID)$164.50$180.50
A, B or C (Enhanced)$194.50$210.50

If you have any other class combined with a motorcycle Class M or MJ (example: AM), add an additional $8.00 to the fee above.

If you have an endorsement of H or X, you must pass the hazardous materials knowledge test at a DMV office within 2 years before your renewal and pay an additional fee of $5 for the test. 

  • 1. Residents of the following counties must pay a supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee:  Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island); Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester.

    The MCTD fee is $1.00 for every 6 months the permit or driver license will be in effect. For an 8-year driver license, the MCTD fee is $16.