K Restriction

If you have a K restriction (CDL Intrastate Only), you are limited to driving in New York State only. However, the K restriction will no longer mean that you do not need USDOT Medical Examiner's Certificate.

You must obtain an A3 (Med Cert Exempt) restriction in addition to your K restriction if:

  • you were issued a K restriction because your original CDL was issued prior to September 9, 1999, and
  • you were not able to meet the federal medical requirements.

The two restrictions together will verify to law enforcement and USDOT representatives that you are not required to have a USDOT Medical Examiner's Certificate and that your operation is limited to New York State only.


See medical certification requirements for more information.