Medical variances and the new 'V' restriction

If your USDOT Medical Examiner's Certificate indicates "must be accompanied by a Diabetic, Hearing, Seizure or Vision waiver exemption or an SPE Certificate," you have a Medical Variance.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) sends the Medical Variance directly to DMV. Visit the FMCSA website for more information about the Medical Variances.

If you have a Medical Variance, you must have a new "V" Restriction placed on your CDL. If you have a Medical Variance and a V Restriction is not present on your driver license document now, you must visit a DMV office with a copy of your current USDOT Medical Examiner's Certificate to amend your CDL. A license amendment fee will apply.

Note: If you cannot meet the criteria for one of the driving types defined above, you can no longer hold a CDL. You must go to a DMV office and downgrade to a non-commercial class driver license.

See location, instructions and reservation information for your DMV

See medical certification requirements for more information.

To receive email and/or text reminders from DMV about the status of your medical certification and medical variance, go to Get email and/or text reminders