Report a problem with a DMV regulated automotive business

What is a DMV regulated automotive business?

The DMV regulates all repair shops, inspection stations, dealers, junk and salvage vendors, and other automotive related businesses in New York State.  1


How do I place a complaint against a DMV regulated automotive business?

If you would like to place a complaint against a DMV regulated automotive business, you must first make an attempt to resolve the complaint with the facility management.  2

If you are not successful, you must file a Vehicle Safety Complaint Report (pdf) (VS-35) with the DMV Consumer & Facilities Services Complaint Unit. 3

Once your complaint has been filed, a Consumer Services Representative (CSR) from DMV will be assigned to handle your complaint.  If the CSR is unable to resolve your complaint, the case will be sent to an Automotive Facilities Inspector for a formal investigation and possibly a hearing. 4

Depending on the complaint, this process could take several weeks to several months to resolve. 5

  • 1. Other related automotive businesses include vehicle dismantlers, salvage pools, mobile car crushers and itinerant vehicle collectors.
  • 2. We cannot take action against a facility unless we can find adequate evidence to substantiate the claim. Additionally, if the facility does not have a current registration, there are limitations on any fines and penalties that may be recovered.
  • 3. There is a 90-day limit on reporting incidents related to a NY State Repair Shop. We cannot accept complaints against Repair Shops beyond the 90-day or 3,000 mile (whichever comes first) limit.
  • 4. For additional information on the investigation and hearing process, please see our What to Expect if You File a Complaint Against a DMV Regulated Business.
  • 5. If you have questions regarding a complaint you placed or the complaint process in general, contact the DMV Complaint Unit at 1-518-474-8943. Office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:15am - 4:15pm.