CDL abstracts & medical certification notices
The URL for access to New York DMV VPASS has changed.
The new link is https://secap.dmv.ny.gov/vpass/. Please be sure to update any shortcuts, favorites or bookmarks to reflect this change.
If you are a current or prospective employer of commercial drivers, or an authorized agent of a motor carrier, the NY State DMV License Event Notification Service (LENS) now offers notifications of Driver’s Medical Certification (Med Cert).
Medical Certification notifications include the following information:
- Overall Med Cert Status: Certified/Not Certified/Not Required
- Self-Cert Driving Type: (NA; NI; EA; EI)
- Medical Certificate Expiration Date: mm/dd/yyyy (NA/NI driving types only)
- Medical Variance Expiration Date: mm/dd/yyyy (if applicable)
- 60 Day Advance Notification of Medical Certificate Expiration: mm/dd/yyyy
- 60 Day Advance Notification of Medical Variance Expiration: mm/dd/yyyy
Users can also get CDL abstracts for their drivers through LENS. CDL abstract provide the following information that is not available on a Standard Abstract:
- Expanded driver history information - convictions, suspensions, revocations and other licensing actions in any state committed in any type of vehicle.
- Medical Certification Status information and Self-Certification information:
- Medical Certification Status: (Certified/Not Certified/Not Required)
- Self-Cert Type: (NA; NI; EA; EI)
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate information for drivers who must maintain a valid medical examiner’s certificate on file with DMV:
- Date Medical Certificate Posted to License Record: mm/dd/yyyy
- Med Cert Issue Date: mm/dd/yyyy
- Med Cert Expiration Date: mm/dd/yyyy
- Medical Examiner’s Name:
- Medical Examiner’s Licensing Jurisdiction Code:
- Medical Examiner’s License or Certificate Number:
- Medical Examiner’s Specialty Code:
- Medical Examiner’s National Registry Number: (Required for all Med Certs issued on or after 5/21/2014)
- Existence of any Restrictions on Medical Certification: Corrective Lenses; Hearing Aid
- Existence of any Medical Variance on Medical Certification: Diabetes Waiver; Vision Waiver; Hearing Waiver; Seizure Waiver; Skills Eval Certificate; Qualified by Operation
- Medical Variance/SPE Certificate Effective Date (if applicable): mm/dd/yyyy
- Medical Variance/SPE Expiration Date (if applicable): mm/dd/yyyy
If you wish to receive Med Cert notifications, and have the option to display CDL Abstracts, see the instructions on Medical Certification.