Get my own driving record (abstract)
What is a driving record abstract?
Standard driver records contain information related to your record for the past few years. If you need a record of all information DMV has, see lifetime driving records.
There is no difference between an abstract you order online, at an office or by mail. They are certified DMV records. They all include a certification statement and the signature of the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, as well as the same security watermark.
Get online through MyDMV
You can save and print a PDF version of your record. You will have until 11:59 PM Eastern Time the day after your order to download it. The fee is $7.
To create a MyDMV account, you will need your newest New York State driver license learner permit, or non-driver ID.
Sorry, you must order by mail if you do not have
- a New York State license, permit of non-driver ID or
- your most recent New York State license, permit or non-driver ID 1
Make sure your computer and web browser have all recent updates to avoid problems downloading your record.
To order your driving record by mail, send
- a completed Request for DMV Records (MV-15)
- a photocopy of your proof of identity 2
- a personal check or money order for $10.00 payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles"
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
If you would like to order your record at the same time you renew your license, mark the blue box on your renewal notice and add the $10.00 search fee to your renewal fee.
At a DMV office
To order your driving record at a DMV office, bring
- a completed Request for Driving Record Information (MV-15C)
- proof of identity 3
- $10.00 for the fee 4
At the DMV Customer Service Counter in Albany
You can request driving record abstracts at the DMV Customer Service Counter in Albany. You must provide your proof of identity and pay the $10.00 search fee. You must certify that you have a DPPA permissible use. Use the Request for Driving Record Information (MV-15C) to request a driving record abstract at
Customer Service Counter
Swan Street Building
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
Driving records cannot be ordered by phone.
Help us improve our website!
Please take this short, 3 question survey. We appreciate your feedback!
- 1. You will need the document number (see sample documents) from your most recently issued document. If you renewed or ordered yours recently and have not received it in the mail yet, you will need to wait for it to arrive before you can create a MyDMV account.
- 2. This can either be a driver license or other government issued photo ID card (you can black out your photo) or 6 points of identification. See Proofs of Identity for Learner Permit, Driver License, and Non-Driver ID Card (ID-44 ).
- 3. This can either be a driver license or other government issued photo ID card (you can black out your photo) or 6 points of identification. See Proofs of Identity for Learner Permit, Driver License, and Non-Driver ID Card (ID-44 ).
- 4. Cash, credit cards, personal checks and money orders accepted. Make checks and money orders payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles."