How to get my own driving record (abstract)
See information below on different types of driving records (abstracts) and how to order them.
There is no difference between a driving record you order online, at an office, or by mail. They are all certified DMV records. They all include a certification statement and the signature of the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, as well as the same security watermark.
There are 3 types of driving records
Standard driving records
'Standard' driver license abstracts only contain information that DMV is required to keep. In many cases, this will be information related to your record for the past few years. Certain violations will be displayed longer, or permanently. See more about Standard driving records.
Lifetime driving records
'Lifetime' driving records contain all the license information DMV currently has available about a driver, regardless of the data retention requirements found in Vehicle and Traffic Law. It may not include information that dates back to when a driver was initially granted driving privileges. See more about Lifetime driving records.
Commercial (CDL) driving records
'CDL' driving records show expanded driver history information, including convictions, suspensions, revocations, and other actions in any state in any type of vehicle. They also provide Medical Certification Status and Self-Certification information. Employers or organizations can get CDL abstracts for enrolled drivers through the New York DMV License Event Notification Service (LENS). See more about CDL driving record abstracts.
Order online through MyDMV
You can save and print a PDF version of your Standard, Lifetime, or CDL driving record abstract through MyDMV. You will have 5 days after your order to download it. The fee is $7.
To create a MyDMV account, you will need your most recent New York State driver license, permit, or non-driver ID.
Sorry, you must order by mail if you do not have
- a New York State license, permit, or non-driver ID or
- your most recent New York State license, permit, or non-driver ID
Make sure your computer and web browser have all recent updates to avoid problems downloading your record.
- (for Standard or Lifetime abstract) a completed Request for DMV Records (PDF) (MV-15), or
- (for a CDL abstract) a completed Request for Certified CDL Abstract (PDF) (MV-15CDL)
- a photocopy of your proof of identity
- a personal check or money order for $10.00 payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles"
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
If you would like to order your record at the same time you renew your license, mark the blue box on your renewal notice and add the $10.00 search fee to your renewal fee.
At a DMV office (Standard)
Sorry, you cannot get CDL or Lifetime abstracts at a DMV office.
To request your Standard driving record at a DMV office, bring
- a completed Request for Driving Record Information (PDF) (MV-15C)
- proof of identity
- $10.00 for the fee
By phone - not permitted
We are sorry, but you cannot order a driving record by phone.
Order another person's records
See instructions to order the driving record of another person.
- 1. You will need the document number (see sample documents) from your most recently issued document. If you renewed or ordered yours recently and have not received it in the mail yet, you will need to wait for it to arrive before you can create a MyDMV account.
- 2. This can either be a driver license or other government-issued photo ID card (you can black out your photo) or 6 points of identification. See the DMV Document Guide.
- 3. This can either be a driver license or other government-issued photo ID card (you can black out your photo) or 6 points of identification. See the DMV Document Guide.
- 4. Cash, credit cards, personal checks, and money orders accepted. Make checks and money orders payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles."