How to get my own driving record (abstract)
DMV offers 3 types of driving records abstracts
Standard driving record
See an explanation of 'Standard' driving record (abstracts) issued by the New York DMV, and a Description of Abstract of Driving Record (PDF) (DS-242.1), which also shows a sample abstract.
Standard driver records contain information related to your record for the past few years. If you need a record of all information DMV has, see lifetime driving records.
Lifetime driving record
See an explanation of "lifetime" driving records issued by the New York DMV, and a Description of Abstract of Lifetime Driving Record (PDF) (DS-242.3), which also shows a sample record.
- Commercial (CDL) driving record
See an explanation of CDL driving record abstracts. You can order them online or have your employer order them through the License Event Notification Service (LENS).
There is no difference between an abstract you order online, at an office or by mail. They are certified DMV records. They all include a certification statement and the signature of the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, as well as the same security watermark.
You can safe and print a PDF version of your Standard, Lifetime or CDL driving record abstract through MyDMV. You will have 5 days after your order to download it. The fee is $7.
To create a MyDMV account, you will need your most recent New York State driver license, permit, or non-driver ID.
Sorry, you must order by mail if you do not have
- a New York State license, permit, or non-driver ID or
- your most recent New York State license, permit, or non-driver ID
Make sure your computer and web browser have all recent updates to avoid problems downloading your record.
By mail (Standard and Lifetime)
Sorry, you cannot order CDL driving record by mail.
To order your Standard or Lifetime driving record, send
- a completed Request for DMV Records (PDF) (MV-15)
- a photocopy of your proof of identity
- a personal check or money order for $10.00 payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles"
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
If you would like to order your record at the same time you renew your license, mark the blue box on your renewal notice and add the $10.00 search fee to your renewal fee.
At a DMV office (Standard)
Sorry, you cannot get CDL or Lifetime abstracts at a DMV office.
To request your Standard driving record at a DMV office, bring
- a completed Request for Driving Record Information (PDF) (MV-15C)
- proof of identity
- $10.00 for the fee
At the DMV Customer Service Counter in Albany
You can request driving record abstracts at the DMV Customer Service Counter in Albany. You must provide your proof of identity and pay the $10.00 search fee. You must certify that you have a DPPA permissible use. Use the Request for Driving Record Information (PDF) (MV-15C) to request a driving record abstract at
Customer Service Counter
Swan Street Building
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
Driving records cannot be ordered by phone.
- 1. You will need the document number (see sample documents) from your most recently issued document. If you renewed or ordered yours recently and have not received it in the mail yet, you will need to wait for it to arrive before you can create a MyDMV account.
- 2. This can either be a driver license or other government-issued photo ID card (you can black out your photo) or 6 points of identification. See the DMV Document Guide.
- 3. This can either be a driver license or other government-issued photo ID card (you can black out your photo) or 6 points of identification. See the DMV Document Guide.
- 4. Cash, credit cards, personal checks and money orders accepted. Make checks and money orders payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles."