How to Order and Access Motor Vehicle Accident Reports
You can search, purchase, and immediately download certified accident reports online.
You must pay both a
Please note: you must complete Step 1 of the online transaction before you will be able to perform a free or paid search.
First: Do a ‘Free’ limited search to see if the DMV has your report
To see if your report is available in our system use 'List Reports on File by Date' to see a list of accidents by the county and date you select (see screenshot example below). The list of accidents will include the plate numbers of the vehicles involved in the accident.
If there are reports you want, you will need to do a paid search before you can order them.
Second: Do a 'Paid' search ($7)
To search for your report use 'Search by Plate Number, License Number, or DMV Accident Case Number' (see screenshot example below).
You will be charged a fee even if
- you enter the incorrect information, or
- if the report(s) are not found
Each search costs $7.
Next: Order your reports ($15)
To order reports, you will need one of the following (which you can get from the search)
- the plate number of a vehicle involved in the crash/accident, and/or
- the driver license number of a person who was involved in the accident, and/or
- the 8-digit DMV case number (starts with the number 3).
Finally: Access your report(s) purchased online
After you pay, you will be able to download your reports (in PDF format).
You will have 7 calendar days to access the reports you purchased. After 7 days, you will need to purchase the reports again.
Note: Some customers have problems downloading PDF documents from our website. Make sure your operating system and web browser are up to date.
You can order a certified copy of an accident report by mail.
You must pay a
- $10 search fee, and
- $15 report fee for each report you order
Use the Request for Copy of Accident Report (PDF) (MV-198C), and provide the
- date of the crash/accident
- county where the crash/accident occurred
and at least one of the following
- the plate number of a vehicle involved in the crash/accident
- driver license number of a person who was involved in the crash/accident
- name and date of birth of a person who was involved in the crash/accident
If DMV cannot find an accident based on the information you provide, we will notify you by certified letter.
When accident reports become available to search and order
It takes 14 - 60 days for an accident report to become available in our system. The time depends on where the accident occurred, and who filed the report (police or a motorist).
|Filing method||Report enters system|
|Electronically filed police report in one of the |
5 boroughs of New York City
|at least 14 days after accident|
|Paper police report||at least 30 days after accident|
|Motorist report from anywhere in New York State||at least 60 days after accident|
Access accident reports you already purchased online
You will have 7 calendar days to access reports you already purchased online. After 7 days, you will need to purchase the reports again.
You will need
- your email address, and
- the Report Confirmation Number (the number we displayed during the report purchase transaction and emailed to you in the transaction confirmation) - do not enter the Search Confirmation Number
Note: Some customers have experienced problems downloading PDF documents from our website. Make sure your operating system and web browser are up to date.
- 1. These cases are described in Vehicle and Traffic Law, Section 201(i).
- 2. Certified accident report copies include an attestation and signature of the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
- 3. Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 202 requires DMV to charge a fee even if an accident report is not available.
- 4. You will be charged separately for the search fee and for each report you order. You will receive a confirmation email for each transaction.
- 5. For example, if there are 3 reports in our system for one accident (a police report and 2 motorist reports) and you must purchase each of them, the order fee will be $45)