Apply for an Autonomous Vehicle Technology Demonstration / Testing Permit
Who can apply
Manufacturers of “autonomous vehicle technology,” or entities creating such technology working in conjunction with manufacturers can apply to test or demonstrate autonomous vehicles on New York roadways.
You must agree to submit your test/demonstration report
You must agree to submit your report on demonstrations or tests, undertaken pursuant to a DMV permit, to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles no later than March 1, 2018.
The law permitting the demonstrations or tests is set to expire April 1, 2018.
Vehicles listed on your application must
- comply with all federal standards and applicable New York State inspection standards
- have a $5 million insurance policy
Your autonomous vehicles must have a licensed driver behind the wheel
- A person holding a valid driver license must be in the driver’s seat while a vehicle is operated on public highways. That person must be prepared to take control when required to in order to operate the vehicle safely and lawfully.
- Every test vehicle operator must be adequately trained in the safe operation of the test vehicle to ensure both legal and safe operation.
You must specify the purpose, and when and where your vehicle(s) will travel
You application must provide the purpose of your demonstration and/or test, and specify the routing information. This includes
- date and time
- origin and destination
- sequence of roads on which your vehicle(s) intends to travel
- total routing distance in miles to the nearest 1/10 mile
The route cannot include construction zones or school zones.
You must reimburse the New York State Police for direct supervision of each demonstration/test
You can find the Autonomous Vehicle Test Supervision Rate Calculations at the New York State Troopers website.
How to apply
- Autonomous Vehicle Technology Demonstration/Testing Application Form (AV-1)
- Autonomous Vehicle Technology Demonstration/Testing Addendum (AV-2)
ONLY applications containing a complete Addendum (AV-2) with an authorized signature will be accepted.
Autonomous Vehicle Testing & Demonstration
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany NY 12228
Or email to