Apply for an Autonomous Vehicle Technology Demonstration / Testing Permit
Who can apply
Manufacturers of “autonomous vehicle technology,” or entities creating such technology working in conjunction with manufacturers can apply to test or demonstrate autonomous vehicles on New York roadways.
You must agree to submit your test/demonstration report
You must agree to submit your report on demonstrations or tests, undertaken pursuant to a DMV permit, to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles no later than March 1, 2023. Please send the report via email to [email protected] or mail to
Autonomous Vehicle Testing & Demonstration Unit
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza, Rm 410B
Albany NY 12228
The law permitting the demonstrations or tests is set to expire April 1, 2023.
Vehicles listed on your application must
- comply with all federal standards and applicable New York State inspection standards
- have a $5 million insurance policy
Your autonomous vehicles must have a licensed driver behind the wheel
- A person holding a valid driver license must be in the driver’s seat while a vehicle is operated on public highways. That person must be prepared to take control when required to in order to operate the vehicle safely and lawfully.
- Every test vehicle operator must be adequately trained in the safe operation of the test vehicle to ensure both legal and safe operation.
You must include a law enforcement interaction plan
See form AV-2 for details required to be submitted in the law enforcement interaction plan.
How to apply
- Autonomous Vehicle Technology Demonstration/Testing Application (AV-1)
- Autonomous Vehicle Technology Demonstration/Testing Addendum (AV-2)
ONLY applications containing completed forms AV-1 and AV-2 along with proof of insurance and a law enforcement interaction plan will be accepted.