New York State and the DMV believe in transparency in government as reflected in our transparency plan (PDF). On this page, you will find links to important information about DMV's Strategic Plan and budget, New York statewide data resources, new transportation laws and new DMV projects to improve our customer service. If you have any opinions about transparency at DMV, we want to hear from you. You can email us at [email protected].
New at DMV
- Commercial Driver License Road Test Waiver. DMV has implemented a federal waiver that allows school bus driver applicants to skip the engine compartment component, also called the “under the hood” component of the commercial driver license road test. This waiver will make it easier to get a commercial license at a time when school bus drivers are desperately needed and is the latest in a series of actions directed by Governor Kathy Hochul to address the critical shortage of truck and bus drivers.
- Move Over Law Expansion. Governor Kathy Hochul signed a bill expanding New York state’s “move over law” to include all vehicles. Beginning in March 2024, drivers must move over to avoid colliding with any vehicle stopped on the side of the road. That includes both sides of the road, not just the right shoulder.
- State-Issued IDs for Incarcerated Individuals. DMV and the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) have expanded a project under Governor Hochul’s historic ‘Jails to Jobs’ initiative that provides non-driver ID cards to individuals prior to their release from DOCCS custody. The program is now available in all 43 State-run correctional facilities.
- DMV Strategic Plan (PDF): See DMV's Strategic Plan, a look at DMV's goals for the coming years
- DMV Regulatory Agenda: Find a list of Regulations that the DMV plans to change during the year
- Commissioner's Budget testimony: Listen to the Commissioner's testimony to the Legislature
- DMV's Enacted Budget: See the DMV's budget for the year
- Accessibility Policy: Report an Issue related to the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Inspector General Complaint Form: File a complaint about suspected misconduct or crimes at DMV with the State Inspector General
- Report a problem with a DMV-regulated automotive business: Report a problem with a repair shop, auto broker or auto dealer
- Report a problem with a DMV office or representative: Report a problem you experienced with a DMV employee
- Report a problem with the DMV website: Report any problems or errors with the DMV website
- Report a problem with odometer or mileage fraud: Report odometer or mileage fraud to the DMV
- File a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request: File a request for DMV documents
- New York State Employee Discrimination Complaint form (PDF): If you are a New York State Employee, file a discrimination or sexual harassment complaint with the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations
- Title VI Non-Discrimination Policy, Procedure and Form: File a discrimination complaint under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act
- Stretch Limousine Passenger Safety Task Force Final Report and Recommendations: Read the final report and recommendations made by the Stretch Limousine Passenger Safety Task Force.
Eligible New Yorkers are encouraged to apply for FCC’s Affordable Connectivity Program, an extension of the Emergency Broadband Fund, that provides discounts up to $30/month toward internet service. Visit www.fcc.gov/acp for more information and to sign-up.
Statewide Government Data Resources
- Open Book New York: Search state and government financial records
- Project Sunlight: Search for individuals and groups who are meeting with government officials
- SeeThroughNY: See how New York State tax dollars are spent
- Open Data NY: Get free public access to New York State government data
Listen to the DMV Commissioner talk about matters of public interest