Conditional and restricted use licenses

You must apply for a conditional or restricted use license in person at a DMV office. You can do this at most, but not all, Motor Vehicles offices. Contact your nearest office to find out where you can apply. 


The DMV can issue a conditional license to a qualified driver whose NY State license has been suspended or revoked because of an alcohol or drug-related violation. The driver must attend an Impaired Driver Program (IDP) (previously known as Drinking Driving Program or DDP) approved by the DMV.

Restricted use 

The DMV can issue a restricted use license to a driver who qualifies and whose license is suspended or revoked because of violations or incidents that are not alcohol or drug-related violations.  


Drivers from other states

If you have a driver license issued in another state, and you meet the other requirements, you can receive a conditional driving privilege or a restricted driving privilege to drive in NY State. The conditions or the restrictions are the same as the conditions or restrictions for a driver with a NY State driver license.