Are you REAL ID ready?
If your New York State license or ID does not have a star or a flag on it, then you do not have a REAL ID compliant document.
Starting October 2020, you must have a REAL ID compliant document (or a passport) to fly. You will not be allowed to board a plane using your regular ('Standard') license or ID. Learn more about REAL ID or Enhanced Licenses, Permits and IDs.
If you already have a New York State License
Renew, replace or check
- Renew license
- Replace license
- Check license/driving privilege status
- Check license mailing status
- Get driving record
Sign up for emails and text reminders when your license is about to expire. You can also edit your subscription.
- Change address
- Change name or non-address information
- Enhanced, REAL ID, Standard license
- Surrender your driver license for a non-driver ID
Tickets, points, penalties and restoring license
Get a license for the first time or exchange from another state
New York State residents age 16 or over can apply for a New York driver license.
- Get a driver license
- Schedule, cancel, or reschedule a road test
- Exchange an out-of-state license for a New York license
Types of licenses
- NY State driver license types and classes
- Commercial Driver License (CDL)
- Motorcycle license
- Taxi license
- Escort driver certification
- Conditional and restricted use licenses
- If a family member has died
- Driver medical conditions
- Driving in New York State
- Federal REAL ID
- Military & Veteran Resources
- Motorcycle Safety Awareness Training
- New York State Adventure License
- Older driver resources
- Resources for non US Citizens
- Suspensions and revocations
- Younger driver resources