Early renewal with conversion to an enhanced document

You can normally only renew a New York State driver license or non-driver ID card within 12 months or less before the expiration date. But you can apply for renewal earlier than normal to convert to an enhanced driver license (EDL) or enhanced non-driver ID card (ENDID).

To renew early and convert to an enhanced document your license or ID must

  • be valid, not expired and issued more than 6 months ago
  • not expire within the next 12 months 1
  • not be in a conditional or restricted status

You must also meet the proof of citizenship, identity and residency requirements for an EDL or ENDID.  See Get an enhanced driver license (EDL) or Get an enhanced non-driver ID (ENDID).


What are the fees for early renewal and conversion?

The early renewal fees with conversion to EDL or ENDID fees are based on

  • the class of your driver license or the type of your ENDID, and
  • how many full or partial 6-month periods there are between the exact date you apply and your next birthday (the month and the day) and the year of expiration

If you get an EDL or ENDID through an early renewal, the year your license expires and your total fee will be different than if you renewed on a normal schedule. The fee can be higher because your license is issued for more months than a normal renewal.

Our online calculator can tell you the fee you would need to pay.

NOTE: The calculator provides the fee you would pay if your application was processed on the same day you use the calculator.   If you submit apply on a later date, the fee may be different.


Calculate early renewal fee online

To calculate the fee to convert to an enhanced document, you must have the DMV ID Number (Client ID Number) from your New York State driver license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card. 

The fee is valid only for the day on which the calculation is made. 

Calculate early renewal
EDL/ENDID fee online


  1. 1. If your driver license or NDID expires within the next 12 months, you can do a normal renewal and receive an EDL or ENDID. An early renewal is not required.