Exchange your out-of-state driver license

 This page was updated for COVID-19.


You must exchange your out-state driver license (from another U.S. state or territory, federal district, or Canadian province) within 30 days of becoming a resident of New York. 1

Your out-of-state license must

  • have your photograph
  • be valid or expired less than 24 months 
  • have been issued at least 6 months before you apply for a New York license (unless it is a commercial driver license that has been valid for any amount of time) 2

You cannot exchange your license if it is

  • suspended or revoked 3
  • lost or stolen 4
  • a hardship or an "employment only driver license" 5
  • marked "non-renewable" or "non-transferable" 6

Your New York license will be valid for 5 years. 


At the DMV

This transaction can only be processed in person, at a DMV office.  

You will need to

Complete this guide to make sure you have the documents and proofs of identity you need.

Find what you need for a REAL ID or Enhanced permit


Find what you need for a Standard Permit or License


We will give you a temporary non-photo license document. Allow 2 weeks for your new license to arrive in the mail. 


Document TypeFee
Standard Driver License (class D, DJ, and N)$65 or $75*
Motorcycle (class M and MJ)$70 or $80*
Taxi, Livery, Limousine (class E) $95 or $105*
Commercial Driver License (class A, B, and C)$127 or $137*

* Residents of these counties must pay the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee ($10): 

Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island), Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester. 

Enhanced documents have an additional $30.00 fee. 

We accept

  • cash
  • most credit, pinless debit, or prepaid cards (American Express, Discover Card/Novus, MasterCard, VISA)
  • a personal check or money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles"


    Office procedures have changed due to COVID-19.

    We recommend you conduct your DMV business at the office or by mail in the County where you are a resident.

    See instructions and reservation information for your county


    Additional information

    I am studying in New York State. Do I need a New York State driver license?

    Students from other states, countries or nations who attend school in New York State are normally not considered residents of New York State, so they don’t need to exchange their current driver license.

    Normally, you can’t have a NY State driver license and a driver license from another state at the same time, but there are exceptions. However, it is a violation of Federal law to hold more than one commercial driver license (CDL).

    Drivers from other countries

    You can drive in New York State with a valid driver license from another country. You do not need to apply for a New York State driver license unless you become a New York State resident.

    To get a New York State driver license, you must pass a written test, complete a 5-hour pre-licensing course, and pass a road test. See Get a driver license.

    When you pass your road test, you must give your foreign driver license to the DMV road test examiner.  The local DMV office will destroy your foreign driver license after 60 days.

    The DMV has additional resources for drivers from other countries.