Driver license and learner permit fees and refunds
Payment methods accepted by DMV
DMV accepts several payment methods, depending on how you complete your transaction. You can read about payment methods accepted by DMV.
Fees for a learner permit and driver license
The fee for your first New York State driver license or permit, or a new license or permit after a revocation, depends on your age when you apply and where you live. The total fee includes
- the driver license application fee
- the fee for the type of license (see driver license classes for more info)
- the document fees
- the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee, if you live in the MCTD
Residents of these counties must pay a Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee:
Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island), Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester.
The MCTD fee is $1.00 for every 6 months the permit or driver license will be in effect.
The table below shows the total fees you pay. The table does not show
- fees for a commercial driver licenses (CDL)
- the additional $30 fee to get an enhanced driver license (EDL) instead of a regular driver license
- fees for a non-driver ID card
|Applicant's Age||Class D or DJ||Class E||Class M or MJ**|
|16 to 16½||$80.00 / $90.00*||Not available at this age||$85.00 / $95.00*|
|16½ to 17||$76.75 / $85.75*||Not available at this age||$81.25 / $90.25*|
|17 to 17½||$92.50 / $102.50*||Not available at this age||$97.50 / $107.50*|
|17½ to 18||$89.25 / $98.25*||Not available at this age||$93.75 / $102.75*|
|18 to 18½||$80.00 / $90.00*||$110.00 / $120.00*||$85.00 / $95.00*|
|18½ to 21||$76.75 - $80.00|
$85.75 - $90.00*
|$103.75 - $110.00 |
$112.75 - $120.00*
|$81.25 - $85.00 |
$90.25 - $95.00*
|21 and older||$64.25 - $67.50 |
$73.25 - $77.50*
|$91.25 - $97.50 |
$100.25 - $107.25*
|$68.75 - $72.50 |
$77.75 - $82.50*
* Includes MCTD
** Part of the Class M and MJ fee supports the Motorcycle Safety Program in New York State.
Fee to replace a driver license or learner permit
The fee to replace a driver license or learner permit is $17.50.
Fee to change information on a driver license or learner permit.
The fee to change information (amend) on a driver license or learner permit is $12.50.
Fee for an Enhanced Driver License (EDL) or Enhanced Permit.
There is an additional $30.00
fee for an Enhanced Driver License.
Fee for a motorcycle license
The fees you pay when you get your first motorcycle license depend on
- whether or not you currently have another class of New York State driver license and
- your exact age when you apply.
The fees for a Class M or MJ driver license, or to add class M or MJ to your current driver license, can range from $21 to $120. We cannot calculate your exact fee until you apply.
Can I get a refund of my driver license fees?
You can receive a partial refund of the 8-year driver license fee if you qualify. The maximum amount you can receive is 50% (four years) of the original 8-year driver license fee. The partial refund does not include any application or document fees.
You can qualify for a partial refund if your driver license
- was valid for 8 years when it was issued
- is surrendered to us or to another state during the first 4 years of the 8-year period
- was not suspended or revoked when you surrendered it
- was not exchanged for a non-driver ID card
To apply for a refund you must
- apply no later than 51 months after the date your driver license was issued
- complete a Request for Refund of Fee Paid for Motor Vehicle Registrations and Driver Licenses (MV-215)
- attach the driver license to form MV-215 if you did not already surrender your driver license
- if you exchanged your NYS driver license for a driver license in another state, attach a photocopy of your out-of-state driver license to form MV-215
- mail the required form and documents to the address listed on the form
- allow up to 12 weeks for the refund to be processed
Refunds Live Chat
Get all your registration fee refund questions answered! Non-refund related questions cannot be answer through this chat service. Chat is available Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.!