Driver license and learner permit fees and refunds
Fees for a learner permit and driver license
The fee for your first New York State driver license or permit, or a new license or permit after a revocation, depends on your age when you apply and where you live. The total fee includes
- the driver license application fee
- the fee for the type of license (see driver license classes for more info)
- the document fees
- the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee, if you live in the MCTD
Residents of these counties must pay a Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee:
Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island), Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester.
The MCTD fee is $1.00 for every 6 months the permit or driver license will be in effect.
The table below shows the total fees you pay. The table does not show
- fees for a commercial driver licenses (CDL)
- the additional $30 fee to get an enhanced driver license (EDL) instead of a regular driver license
- fees for a non-driver ID card
|Applicant's Age||Class D or DJ||Class E||Class M or MJ**|
|16 to 16½||$80.00 / $90.00*||Not available at this age||$85.00 / $95.00*|
|16½ to 17||$76.75 / $85.75*||Not available at this age||$81.25 / $90.25*|
|17 to 17½||$92.50 / $102.50*||Not available at this age||$97.50 / $107.50*|
|17½ to 18||$89.25 / $98.25*||Not available at this age||$93.75 / $102.75*|
|18 to 18½||$80.00 / $90.00*||$110.00 / $120.00*||$85.00 / $95.00*|
|18½ to 21||$76.75 - $80.00|
$85.75 - $90.00*
|$103.75 - $110.00 |
$112.75 - $120.00*
|$81.25 - $85.00 |
$90.25 - $95.00*
|21 and older||$64.25 - $67.50 |
$73.25 - $77.50*
|$91.25 - $97.50 |
$100.25 - $107.25*
|$68.75 - $72.50 |
$77.75 - $82.50*
* Includes MCTD
** Part of the Class M and MJ fee supports the Motorcycle Safety Program in New York State.
Fee to replace a driver license or learner permit
The fee to replace a driver license or learner permit is $17.50.
Fee to change information on a driver license or learner permit.
The fee to change information (amend) on a driver license or learner permit is $12.50.
Fee for an Enhanced Driver License (EDL).
There is an additional $30.00 fee for an Enhanced Driver License.
Fee for a motorcycle license
The fees you pay when you get your first motorcycle license depend on
- whether or not you currently have another class of New York State driver license and
- your exact age when you apply.
The fees for a Class M or MJ driver license, or to add class M or MJ to your current driver license, can range from $21 to $120. We cannot calculate your exact fee until you apply.
Can I get a refund of my driver license fees?
You can receive a partial refund of the 8-year driver license fee if you qualify. The maximum amount you can receive is 50% (four years) of the original 8-year driver license fee. The partial refund does not include any application or document fees.
You can qualify for a partial refund if your driver license
- was valid for 8 years when it was issued
- is surrendered to us or to another state during the first 4 years of the 8-year period
- was not suspended or revoked when you surrendered it
- was not exchanged for a non-driver ID card
To apply for a refund you must
- apply no later than 51 months after the date your driver license was issued
- complete a Request for Refund of Fee Paid for Motor Vehicle Registrations and Driver Licenses (MV-215)
- attach the driver license to form MV-215 if you did not already surrender your driver license
- if you exchanged your NYS driver license for a driver license in another state, attach a photocopy of your out-of-state driver license to form MV-215
- mail the required form and documents to the address listed on the form
- allow up to 12 weeks for the refund to be processed