Get a driver license to drive a taxi, cab or livery vehicle (Class E)
How do I get a driver license to drive a taxi, cab or livery vehicle in NY State?
To drive taxis and livery vehicles, you must be 18 years of age or older and have a driver license that is a
- Class A commercial driver license (CDL)
- Class B CDL
- Class C CDL
- Class E driver license
To change from a Class D driver license to a Class E driver license, you must
- take a completed Application for Permit, Driver License for Non-Driver ID Card (pdf) (MV-44) to a DMV office
- show your current driver license as proof of identity and date of birth
- take the vision test
- pay the fee for a Class E driver license (the fee depends on the expiration date of your current driver license. The DMV can not calculate your fee until you apply)
- surrender your Class D driver license to the DMV office
If you do not have a driver license, learn how to apply for your first driver license. Apply for a Class E driver license instead of a Class D driver license. The Class D license and the Class E license both require the same vision, written and road tests.
The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (T&LC) regulates taxi drivers and livery drivers in New York City. If you plan to drive a taxi or livery vehicle in New York City, contact the Taxi and Limousine Commission.