Get a learner permit

To get a New York State learner permit you must be 16 or older and apply at a DMV office. Here are the steps you need to take:

Step 1:  Be prepared to take the written permit test

Study the NYS Driver's Manual and take the practice tests so you can pass the test.  

Step 2:  Be ready to take an eye test

You will need to take an eye test, unless you bring an Eye Test Report (MV-619) completed by an eye-care professional.

Step 3: Bring to the DMV

Click to check/uncheck the box.a completed Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44)

      •  if you are under 18, your parent/guardian must sign the 'consent' section (they don't need to sign it at the DMV)
      •  if you are 17 and have a Driver Education Certificate (MV-285), you don't need consent

Click to check/uncheck the box.your Social Security Card (photocopies are not acceptable) or proof of ineligibility 1 

Click to check/uncheck the box.acceptable proof of your identity and date of birth

      • if you are under 21 and use the Statement of Identity by Parent/Guardian (MV-45) as proof of identity (you cannot use as proof date of birth), your parent or guardian must sign it at the DMV, and they must present 6 points of proof of identity

Click to check/uncheck the box.payment for the fees 2

      • see the fee chart to estimate how much you will need to pay 

Print this checklist or watch a video which shows what you need to bring.

For quicker service, make a reservation online before visiting offices in New York City, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Onondaga or Albany Counties. See offices where this service is available.


Permit fee

The see depends on your age and where you live.

Use the permit fee chart to estimate your fee.


After you visit the DMV

See Learner permit restrictions and Prepare for your road test to see what you must do after you receive your learner permit.

About the written test

You must take a written test to receive your learner permit.  To pass the test, you must get least 14 of the 20 multiple-choice questions correct. This includes the correct answers to at least two of the four questions about road signs. If you are applying for a motorcycle permit, you must get at least three out of the five motorcycle questions correct. 

If you do not pass the written test, you can take it again for no additional fee.  There is no limit to how many times you can take the written test. 

If you pass the written test, we will issue you a learner permit that is valid for approximately 5 years. The exact expiration date depends on your date of birth and the date that you applied for the learner permit.



  • 1.  If you are not eligible for a Social Security Number, you must give us a letter from the Social Security Administration that was issued within 30 days of your application to DMV indicating you are not eligible. You must also show the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) documentation that was used by the SSA to determine that you are not eligible.


  • 2. You can pay by
    • cash
    • credit
    • debit card (it must not require a personal identification number (PIN))
    • check or money order made out to “Commissioner of Motor Vehicles”

Do it at the DMV

Make sure you

Make a reservation online before visiting DMV offices in New York City, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Onondaga or Albany Counties.

Make A Reservation

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.