Get a license to drive a taxi or livery vehicle

To drive taxis and other livery vehicles in New York State, you must be 18 years of age or older and you must have a driver license that is one of these classes

  • Class A commercial driver license (CDL)
  • Class B CDL
  • Class C CDL
  • Class E driver license 


New York now offers 3 types of documents
Document TypeDisplayed on documentUsed for identificationFly within U.S., enter Federal facilities**Enter U.S. by land or sea***
Enhanced (EDL)Flag displayed on Enhanced documentYesYesYes
Federal REAL IDStar displayed on REAL ID documentsYesYesNo

* If your license or permit was issued before October 30, 2017 and is not Enhanced, you have a Standard document. 

** Boarding a domestic (U.S.) flight, and entering a Federal Building or Military Base (starting October, 2020)

*** U.S. Border Crossing from Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean countries


Learn more about Enhanced, REAL ID and Standard documents


Change from a Class D to a Class E license

Step 1: Complete either an


Step 2: Determine what identification you need to bring to the DMV

  • if you want a REAL ID or Enhanced, complete this document guide to know what proofs of identity to bring to an office 

    Find your proofs

    • On the first page, select: Change my existing NY State license/ID to a REAL ID or Enhanced
  • if you want a Standard that will display "NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES", bring your current NY State license as proof of identity


Step 3: Go to the DMV

  • surrender your Class D license.
  • apply and pay for your Class E license
    • the fee depends on the expiration date of your current driver license - we cannot calculate your fee until you apply
  • take the vision test or prove that you meet our vision requirements



Step 4: Get your Class E license in the mail

 Allow 2 weeks for your new  license to arrive.


If you do not have New York State driver license

If you do not have a driver license, learn how to apply for your first driver license. Apply for a Class E driver license instead of a Class D driver license. The Class D license and the Class E license both require the same vision, written and road tests.

The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (T&LC) regulates taxi drivers and livery drivers in New York City. If you plan to drive a taxi or livery vehicle in New York City, contact the Taxi and Limousine Commission.