Get a license to drive a taxi or livery vehicle
To drive taxis and other livery vehicles in New York State, you must be 18 years of age or older and you must have a driver license that is one of these classes
- Class A commercial driver license (CDL)
- Class B CDL
- Class C CDL
- Class E driver license
If you plan on traveling
We recommend you come to the DMV now to get an Enhanced or REAL ID, and avoid a second office visit later. Learn about Enhanced, REAL ID and Standard documents.
Change from a Class D to a Class E license
Step 1: Complete the
Step 2: Determine what identification you need to bring to the DMV
- if you want a REAL ID or Enhanced, complete this document guide to know what proofs of identity to bring to an office
- On the first page, select: Change my existing NY State license/ID to a REAL ID or Enhanced
- if you want a Standard that will display "NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES", bring your current NY State license as proof of identity
Step 3: Go to the DMV
- surrender your Class D license.
- apply and pay for your Class E license
- the fee depends on the expiration date of your current driver license - we cannot calculate your fee until you apply
- take the vision test or prove that you meet our vision requirements
Step 4: Get your Class E license in the mail
Allow 2 weeks for your new license to arrive.
If you do not have New York State driver license
If you do not have a driver license, learn how to apply for your first driver license. Apply for a Class E driver license instead of a Class D driver license. The Class D license and the Class E license both require the same vision, written and road tests.
The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (T&LC) regulates taxi drivers and livery drivers in New York City. If you plan to drive a taxi or livery vehicle in New York City, contact the Taxi and Limousine Commission.
- 1. Starting in May 2025, you will need an Enhanced or REAL ID to board a domestic flight (unless you have a passport).
If your license or permit was issued before October 30, 2017 and is not Enhanced, you have a Standard document.
Newly issued Standard license and permits state: 'NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES'